Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild or Crate Motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

If you've kept up with my build thread you've seen I now have a bare 454 block. I haven't been looking really hard just checking jegs and summit and a couple other sites on prices for parts and well....:eek1::eek1::eek1::eek1:. The only things getting re-used are the block and heads (which both are gonna get some work done) but everything else is gonna have to be new. I also checked prices on a crate 454 and they were looking like in the area of 5500-6000 or more.

The crate would be easier for the most part but I also wanted to do the rebuild as a learning experience. If the price between the crate or rebuild is close I'd rather just build it but if I can really save THAT much going with a crate motor that's something I'd have to consider.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't see a rebuild for a 454 with good block/heads costing anywhere near $5500. A pretty thorough small block build can run around $1200 if you do the assembly, double that and a few hundred for a new crank is still a lot less than $5500.

Just look at those sites for a "complete" rebuild kit for the 454, and price out whatever those don't come with for a guesstimate as to the total parts cost.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check out the kits thanks. I was looking at parts individually, maybe thats why I was getting such a high number.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

These people http://www.lowcostengines.com/ have a crate 454 Goodwrench engine for about $4000 , but it only makes about 245 HP/290 Tourque. You could build an engine with a lot more horse power and tourque using your block and heads for the same money. One thing you should do is take your block and heads to a machine shop first to have them checked to make sure they are in good enough condition to be used for a rebuild, before you start buying parts for them.

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it depends on what you want to do it. If your going to do crazy internals and super performance on have tools, space, and time then building it yourself may be the way to go. If your building a mild reliable motor then it may be better to look for deals on complete motors. If you bought the assembled motor, there would be less to deal with you would have it in your truck sooner and most places have warrentys on motors.

6. ballu_one

ballu_one Registered Member

man u have to pay to use this web sit thats not good im poor and so is my truck so see ya

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

It won't be any super motor but I'd like to get some good horsepower/torque numbers out of it. I want it to be some what reliable just so it won't get me stranded out on the trail but it's gonna be in a play truck that will never see the street so reliability is not the biggest concern.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Well shoot, since its not going to be a highway hauler, just pick-up a used runner from somebody that crashed or is sick of gas bills. Good compression, no bad noises, no smoke, go for it.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:what: :whistle:

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

summit has some nice kits listed with full rotating parts balence to stroke it to a 496 for a few more bucks. that is what i would do if it were me. you get crank/rods/pistions/bearings/rings. all done ready to go basicly.

11. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Hey mtnman why dont you try P.A.W they sell highperformance rebuild kits also I deal with them alot and am very satisfied.They have a location in north hollywood and one in chatsworth.You could go to their website.I high recomend them.:D

12. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I use them quite a bit. I've been looking through their book a little today and found some nice kits and they seem to be the same prices as others. Now I'll have to start looking for specifics on what I want.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Check this out though, Summit and Jegs and Scoggin Dickey et al don't charge shipping (usually) and NO TAX; PAW charges 8.25% CACATAX. I bought my Edelbrock shocks, made 10 miles from my house, shipped to Ohio and back for less than what I would spend here. If you can wait ~three days, its usually worth it to buy out of state.
    I bought my fuel pump from PAW cause I needed it now, a 70 mile trip.

14. XCUATRO

XCUATRO Registered Member

15. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

then why'd you go to them:haha: It seems everytime I need something it has to be ordered. That's usually what keeps me away fomr them.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I was going to the desert for the weekend, Thurs., they had it in stock. It was either go fetch or sit at home for the weekend. Its a Holley Electric pump & PAW was the only place within driving range. So I paid CACATAX and 5 gal. gas.:haha:

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd personally do the crate engine. Mainly for warranty. If you build a motor, no warranty if it blows up. You're $h!t out of luck there.

18. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OF course you claim that on your tax form right? ...............RIGHT

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner