Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REBUILD OR VORTEC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COLLISION, Sep 16, 2002.

1. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Well the frame is painted and will be going back together soon.My question is this.
    My current engine is the stock 350 TBI unit(in need of a rebuild).What are the advantages/disadvantages of:
    1).Rebuild the existing engine 1000-1500$
    2).Add vortec heads and keep TBI setup $??
    3).Get a mildly used complete vortec from 96-98 1500+

I can get a complete Vortec, harness,computer,all accs,etc
    install it and splice into my harness,will there be a noticible gain to doing this or would one of my other options be a better way of going?.
    Is it worth putting Vortec heads on a rebuilt 350, and running TBI?
    Already priced a Ramjet and even though I work for GM, it's still a little more than I want to spend, rather spend the extra on 14ff disc conversion and Dana 60 front.

If anyones running a Vortec I'd be interested in knowing gas mileage, power, and any problems you've encountered with the swap.
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think for the money, I'd look into building a 383 stroker motor. I think it'd give you noticable power over a 350, and costs should be simular.

3. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

whats involved in that?, wich parts of my original could be reused?
    I'm not looking for major power, just a good all around engine, fuel economy and maintenance wise.
    300hp would do just fine.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Easy way is to but a kit from someplace like PAW. You use the crank out of a 400. Some people like to use the 400's rods, other people like to use the 350's rods. It'll involve boring the cylinders, and clearencing inside the block for the longer trows of the 400's crankshaft. The big gain of a 383 stroker is the torque !!!! Much better in a 4X4 then a 350 in my honest opinion. If you can rebuild a motor, then you can build a 383 stroker. All the hard stuff is done by the machine shop. I'd probley go with 9 to 1 up to 10 to 1 compression, so figure your needs/wants for pistons when ordering parts. Most shops I've talked to charge about $500 more for building a 383 verses a 350. So it's not that much of a price difference, and I think it's well worth looking into befor you make any final dicissions.

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input I'll definatley do some research on that.