Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuild sm 465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hd-10, May 4, 2004.

1. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

anyone ever rebuilt a sm 465 tranny? if so how hard was it?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have heard from a guy that has done one and usually messes with Rockwell and Eaton trannies...465's are a bitch to do.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im right where you are... I have one I need to do as I have sunk so much time and money into everything else...and it makes sense to have the tranny primo as everything else is new now...
    I understand its not the fact that they are so hard to build but that one needs some special tools........ Im going to talk to the tranny shop and see what they get for labor for one... the rebuild kits is about 175 including syncros.... let me know what you find out Id be happy to compare notes as to what shops are charging where you are.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have torn one apart to replace a few worn out parts. They aren't that bad. You just need the right tools, as with anyhting that you undertake similar to this.

Chris

5. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

I rebuilt mine last summer. They are pretty simple to do and I would recommend that you do it yourself if you're pretty mechanically inclined.

Just one word of advice: Don't forget to put the snap ring that retains third gear on the mainshaft. Don't ask how I know.

If you have any questions about the rebuild, parts, pictures, or tools just ask way.

6. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

what outta the ordinary tools do you need?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the counter gear front bearing can be a SO to get out
    rent a cg-50 snap on puller and it comes out
    most shops will pull the tranny partwy down and call it done
    if you want it done right it is best to do it yourself or stand over the tranny guys shoulder and insist on replacing EVERY bearing

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

All i have ever done is change the input shaft which wasnt too hard at all. Here is a link to Cybersnipers page. Click on the SM465 links there and you will find some great info.

web page

9. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys i will probably try and do it my self so be ready for some more question /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have rebuilt a 465 transmission, and there is one serious piece of equipment needed you probably do not have. You are going to need a hydraulic press to take apart the main-shaft, in order to install new synchros. When I rebuilt my 465, it was in an Automotive Driveline Class, I was taking, at a Community College, which had all the equipment and documentation I needed to do the job.

I would recommend taking a manual transmission to a shop, instead of building it yourself. Buy a "Master Rebuild Kit", which will come with all new bearings, synchros, and retaining clips. Then tell the shop, rebuilding it, you want all the old parts back, so that you can verify that the parts where actually replaced.

You could do what I did, and enroll yourself in a Driveline class at your local Community College. A Driveline class will cover both automatic and manual transmission, and differentials. Most of these classes have a lab portion, which will allow you to actually rebuild a transmission or differential.