Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuild the 6.2 or swap in a 6.5 NA???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Feb 17, 2004.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Which would be a better idea?

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It depends on what your power goals are, and what condition the 6.2 block and heads are in. 6.2L is nice because it's cheap to build, or buy rebuilt. 6.5L is slightly more expensive, but you get some nice upgrades with your money. How much is the 6.5 you're looking at? How badly damaged is the 6.2L?

3. DieselBurb

The 6.5 is $1550 and is a 94 with 86k miles. My 6.2 has over 155k miles and has a nasty fuel knock that I haven't been able to trace (new glow plug and injector).

I have been told that the 6.5 is a better engine. I figure that I can always add the turbo (or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif) to it later.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

With the truck running, loosen the fuel lines running to the injectors one at a time. If the knock is still there, tighten it back up and go to the next one. If the knock goes away, you found your bad injector. Injectors are a lot less than a new motor. Ive got 213K on mine and it has developed a knock from the #7 injector. Im just waiting for my new ones to get here so i can swap them when the weather is nice.

5. DieselBurb

I've done that already...mine's #6. I even swapped the injector (which was new) to the other side and the knock didn't move. The only thing that I can think that it could be is that when the glow pulg popped, it lodged itself into something and hurt it so that it doesn't get a good seal for compression.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know nuthin about diesels other than I hate the smell of the fuel but, could you maybe try to heli-coil the glow plug hole to try to get the seal back?? Just a thought I spose. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

7. DieselBurb

The threads for the GP are fine. I was talking about maybe the GP that popped might have hurt a valve or piston ring. After I get the 6.5 in, I might start pulling the 6.2 apart to see what it was. I think I might rebuild it with go-fast goodies and save it for another project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Hmmm, what vehicle should I build next /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif......maybe a 40's or 50's lead sled with a diesel /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif...hmmmmm.........