Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuild...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 12, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok Im looking at a PAW advertisement in peterson's. They have the super stock master kit that comes with pistons, pins, and rings, rod and main bearings, timing chain set, cranksahft, oilpump, rods, cam, lifters, and gasket set.. it says to phone for price but average price runs 600 for cast pistons and 800-900 for forged. How much should i expect to pay for labor if a shop put all that in? Would it be better to do this or get parts from the shop?
    Also im considering head work and new wearable parts such as hoses, puleys, alternator, fan etc.
    Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need to talk with a few rebuilding shops and ask about that. Some of them don't want to mess with parts from somewhere else. It's sorta like showing up at a restaurant with your own food for them to cook. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hehe the restraunt i worked at did that =P

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Check out POWERHOUSE. No web page, but call them at 661 861 0167 and get the free catalog.
    Chevy 350 kit is $153, incl. oil pump, rod and main and cam ebarings, cam, lifters, pistons, cast iron rings, timing chain and sprockets, freeze plugs/galley plugs, and gasket set.
    I have it all inside my 355 now, just waiting to drop it in.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You get what you pay for...
    Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont want to sound negative..... But why would you want to sink that kind of money into a 305 ? By the time you buy those high priced parts,do the heads, And the machine work you will have about a couple of grand in it
    For that kind of money you can pick up a nice crate vortec 350 engine. They run $2300. from 240 HP 350 for only $1300
    I just thought I would throw out another option besides rebuilding.