Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuildable 327

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Came accrost a 327 that needs a rebuild for $200.00 plus $125.00 shipping. It's suposta be out of a 68 or 69 Impala. Claims it ran when pulled, but smoked. Been sitting in a barn along time. Would ya go for it or not. I'd kinda like to put a 327 in the Camino.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

$325 for a worn out engine /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    $325 for a worn out engine /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, my thinking also, but it is a rebuildable 327. And 327's are hard to find around here.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its a small Journal motor , but they scream with a good valvetrain /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're dead set on spending money on a somewhat oddball engine, ya might as well find a good 400 core. It'll cost you about the same to build as a 327, but will have WAY more grunt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

Not really an oddball when you consider that until 1968 (1967 in camaros) this was the biggest small block you could get. It has the same bore as a 350, just a shorter stroke. 400 would sure make more torque. However in a light Elky with short gears, and good converter, it(327) would be killer. I sometimes miss my car days (sigh) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

When I have to spend the same amount to build either engine, I will always select the one with the larger displacement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Especially when the absolute newest version of the smaller engine that I could find would be at least 36 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    When I have to spend the same amount to build either engine, I will always select the one with the larger displacement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Especially when the absolute newest version of the smaller engine that I could find would be at least 36 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]But a 327 is pretty high in the cool factor. I'm not after a major hot rod or torque monster. It's for a 78 El Camino. Keep in mind a 5th gen El Camino isn't very heavy. My goal is a fun to drive street car. So far the plan is; 700r4, posi rear end with 3.73's. and 235/45/17's on all 4 corners. Yeah, the 327 is a smaller engine, but I really don't need a a monster motor. Heck, right now it's got a 305 2bbl and it'll lite em up. I think a 327 would be cool in a Camino. I'm thinking 9 to 1, comp cams 268-H, Pete Jackson gear drive, Hooker headers, a Dart Machinery intake manifold, and a Demon carb. If it'll put out close to 300 HP I'll be happy. [​IMG] Love that intake manifold. Dart Machinery isn't making it anymore, so it is getting very hard to find anymore. I think a guy on ebay still has a few.

9. pauly383

Different is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Different is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah different, but also classic. The SBC of today is still basicly the same engine as the ones built 40 some years ago. Yeah, little things have changed, but it still the same basic design. So I'm not sure how different it would be. My thinking is a 327 is a classic hot rod area engine. How many late 60's mussle cars had 327's ?? I'll upgrade the heads. I really like the these, I've used them on alot of engines I've put together. 64cc strait plugs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    But a 327 is pretty high in the cool factor.

[/ QUOTE ]
    To me, a 327 is pretty high in the "boat anchor" factor. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Put in a 400 and tell everyone that it's a 327. Only about .01% of gearheads would ever notice the difference, and only .01% of .01% of the general population would ever have a clue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. pauly383

400 is good motor ( with heads drilled for steam holes, big radiator, etc ) . I would put that in a truck or old Chevelle or Impala . My personal Favorite list of dream motor combos is as follows :

1. 383 in a Chevelle, El Camino , Nova , Chevelle, Camaro(someday MY own, hence pauly383)
    2. 350 in my truck (next year !!)
    3. Built 283 in a Nova II
    3. 327 in anything light with auto and low rear
    4. 454 or 400 ( unmolested original 400 I can build ) in anything.
    5. New ls1 type motor in anything

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    But a 327 is pretty high in the cool factor.

[/ QUOTE ]
    To me, a 327 is pretty high in the "boat anchor" factor. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Put in a 400 and tell everyone that it's a 327. Only about .01% of gearheads would ever notice the difference, and only .01% of .01% of the general population would ever have a clue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] So a engine that came in the Corvette during the mussle car erea is a boat anchor ???? I can see a 305 as a boat anchor, but not a 327. Hell, around where I've lived finding a 327 is very hard too do. We're not talking about a engine for a truck. We're talking about something that'll produce decent power in the mid and upper rpm's. As far as telling people it's a 327 when in fact it's not; well, I'd know.

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think the 327 is a great motor, they reved quick and had great power at the top end, all of which you want in a CAR (or elcamino /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif) the reason i am putting a 350 in my s10, is cause i have too many of them. (got to get rid of them somehow /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) i would love to put a 327 in my s10 but one is the $$$ and the other is i dont have one.

paul you could buy a 350 motor and junk the crank and pistons and buy a 327 crank and pistons and build one if you are having problems finding one. i know the local junkyard has 3 of them sitting there, but they also have about 15 sbc motors

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i think the 327 is a great motor, they reved quick and had great power at the top end, all of which you want in a CAR (or elcamino /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif) the reason i am putting a 350 in my s10, is cause i have too many of them. (got to get rid of them somehow /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) i would love to put a 327 in my s10 but one is the $$$ and the other is i dont have one.

paul you could buy a 350 motor and junk the crank and pistons and buy a 327 crank and pistons and build one if you are having problems finding one. i know the local junkyard has 3 of them sitting there, but they also have about 15 sbc motors

[/ QUOTE ] I'm trying not to get into to big of a rush on this one. Gonna take my time, plan out everything I'll want, and shop around to get the best prices on all the parts.

16. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Personally I would pass on the 327, for street use and cost I would stick to a 350. If you really want "cool" factor, find a 302 from a Z/28 package camaro. 290 Net horsepower (guesstimates were it was putting out around 400 hp at the flywheel)

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I would pass on the 327, for street use and cost I would stick to a 350.

[/ QUOTE ] But everybody and they're brother either has or has had a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    So a engine that came in the Corvette during the mussle car erea is a boat anchor ????

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep! Even the 'vette boys got bigger engines in later years. There's no replacement for displacement! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Besides, 99% of the time you're driving too slowly to work the RPM band in a high revver (or losing your license for speeding /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I'll take a torque monster, even in a car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You could always overcam it to lose some bottom end torque, while making excellent top end HP. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I've love to see what the TPI 383 in my K5 would do in a Chevelle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So a engine that came in the Corvette during the mussle car erea is a boat anchor ????

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep! Even the 'vette boys got bigger engines in later years. There's no replacement for displacement! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Besides, 99% of the time you're driving too slowly to work the RPM band in a high revver (or losing your license for speeding /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I'll take a torque monster, even in a car. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You could always overcam it to lose some bottom end torque, while making excellent top end HP. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif I've love to see what the TPI 383 in my K5 would do in a Chevelle. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I understand where you're comming from, but I'll still go for the 327 in the El Camino.

20. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

I understand that as well... I go to a lot of car shows etc and agree that the 350's really don't have any "cool" factor to them. On the other hand the 327's I see make me think more of "why" than "cool" (enough 327's out there that they really aren't unusual or unique).

Still think the 302 would give you a HUGE leg up in the cool and unusual dept.(killer motors but very few of them out there...)

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Personally I would pass on the 327, for street use and cost I would stick to a 350.

[/ QUOTE ] But everybody and they're brother either has or has had a 350. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]