Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding 205; easy way to remove roll pins?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 10, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to be rebuilding on of the 205's this week...Last time, I had a helluva time getting the roll pins out of the shift rails that hold the shift forks in place...Any tips? I once heard that there are some plugs that you can remove from the case that give you a clear shot to the roll pins...is this true...Last time I struggled for about 2-3 hours removing and installing the rool pin...Also, Should I use new rool pins or can I reuse the old ones...I am only pulling the case apart and cleaning all of the parts...So far, every bearing has been in awesome condition...

Thanks for the help gang...

Chris

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

There are two small plugs on top of the case that you just punch down into the case. Then just use a punch to drive out the roll pins. Should take all of maybe 2 minutes!

Mike

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I used pliers to pull the plugs so that I could re-use them. I bought some 3/16" rod and cut it to 12" long to use as a punch to drive the roll pins into the case.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You can re-use the plugs either way. You just have to fish them out of the bottom of the case.

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Yea, the plugs look like baby freeze plugs. You will have to clean the top side of the case off to be able to see them though.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Mine were rubber plugs. Of course, mine is a synchronized 205. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

do yu have to punch the roll pins into the case to remove the shift rails?....I/ve heard that some peeps have used an allen wrench or something like that to hold them out of te way

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, you have to remove the roll pins to get the rails out.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I found the easiest way to remove the pins is to punch the plugs into the case (which can later be removed and re-used), punch the roll pins through with a 3/16" punch, and using electrical tape and the same 3/16" punch re-install them. You tape the roll pin to the end of the punch (leaving more tape attached to the punch than the roll pin). The tape holds the roll pin while you use the punch to line up the hole. Then tap the pin(s) into place and the tape will stay attached to the roll pin and Wha-lah!

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just start the roll pins into the shift fork prior to reassembly. Then when you slide them into place all you have to do is drive them the rest of the way in.

Mike

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Even easier!
    Thanks for the suggestion, it will definitely save me the trouble next time.

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I remember reading somewhere that the trick to keeping the shift fork in the spot that it's supposed to be in is to put a thin rod or tool in the punch hole to hold it in place.