Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding 350 tbi for power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im going to be rebuilding the engine in my k5 in the near future. i want it to be around 300hp and 350 lbft. and i want it to last a good 100-150k miles. oh ya and i want it to be as cost effective as possible( cheap).ideally i'd like the whole thing done for under 3 grand, including parts, labor and machining.what my best plan of attack? i was thinking either vortec heads or maybe something like darts, iron or aluminum i dont know, and some sort of tbi friendly cam.i want the power down low, and peak by 4-5k rpm. the motor will have the holly 670 tbi,thorley headers and a good exhaust.

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Get some votec heads and run the GMPP vortec tbi intake. Pick the cam after you decide on heads, or any other mods. Then give comp cams or any other cam maker and give them the specs. They should be able to pick a great cam for your motor. Stick to 9:1 or there about. A custom chip will also be needed.

3. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

Cast iron Vortecs are by far the best bang for the buck.

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

buy my 410/425 small-block for 2750.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

if you dont want the carb or the dist or the intake we can talk price and drop it down to 2500 or less... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Look into the pro-toplines.

Vortecs force you to buy that expensive TBI intake, and one thing I failed to think of, is that there are no flow numebrs for it. It could flow worse than the one on there now, but no one will tell you how much it actually flows. (TPI Vortec base is the same way)
    Besides, whether you want it or not, re-using a stock intake (if thats in the cards) and heads with exhast crossover (not Vortecs) gives you no hassle with EGR.

Vortecs add unnecessary cost to a project. Spring selection is getting better, but even then, you STILL have to replace the ones they come with to get much lift over .450".