Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding 700r4,Any must have upgrades?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud?, Jan 26, 2005.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Getting my trany rebuilt this week in my daily driver, stock 305 engine right now hoping to upgrade to just a mid powered(under 300 HP.) 5.7 sometime in the not to distant future. Are there any upgrades that I should have them to do now? Thank's for any info:waytogo: Also was quoted between $1,000-$1,300 with new torque converter.Is this reasonable?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Get a big transmission oil cooler for long life. 1200 seems a bit high but I have no idea what your asking them to do.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that sounds about right if they are installing it and removing it. As for up grades a corvette servo, more clutch plates in the 3-4 clutch wil make overdrive stronger, a shift kit will make the tranny shift better, upgrade the vane pump if it is a older 700 there are a lot of parts that need to be replaced you are best off to start with a 87 or new case because they have that factory upgrades in them

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

It's a 86

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get all the upgrades you can. Corvette Servo, Kevlar bands, 10 or 13 vane pump, all standard upgrades, shift kit, 30 spline, new converter, etc.

I paid $1600 installed for my last 700R4 with the HD upgrades. I told them what I want and they built it. I told them I wanted all the upgrades, HD parts, 2 yr warranty, low stall converter, etc. I told them it was going to rockcrawl and they said ok.

Other mods I would recommend is to the cooling system for the tranny. Get the BIGGEST tranny cooler you can. I run a temp gauge and an external oil filter on my truck to help keep the fluid clean and so I know how hot the tranny is getting.

Harley

7. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

This is just basic work transportation, Not a rock crawler.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rebuilt daily driver 700's last 15,000 miles for some people.

You could probably dump $10,000 into one if you REALLY wanted to, but if you can afford the insurance, the upgraded parts are worth having. They are all known because the 700 HAS all the problems it does, and those all help.'

Probably the single most important thing when rebuilding a 700 is to get someone that knows what they are doing, and will take their time to do it right. You see big name rebuilds lasting maybe 50,000 miles while the stock GM build lasted 100K+. Tells you something about builders, and of course a little bit about how much harder we are on vehicles nowadays.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

price sounds about right, for a stock rebuild. i paid 1400 for mine w/ no install. its from bowtie OD,stage 2. local tranny shop wanted 1800 to rebuild+install, and that was with no special upgrades.

check out this place for prices and what you need to ask for

700r4.com

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If it was me I would not rebuild that 86 700R4. Espically if you are going to put it behind a 300 HP engine. The older models need to many upgrades. Even then they are still weaker than the newer models. it would be much better if you could get a newer trans 88 or newer to build.
    You can get a new 700r4/4L60 from GM with all the upgrades for about what you are paying to have your old trans rebuilt.
    Or
    I highly suggest you check out these guys:http://www.700r4.com
    They build very good 700r4s

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

they blow at 15,000 because people got to mom and pop tranny shops that replace all the stock gears and sometimes leave the clutch packs.

I have a corvette servo, and shift kit and the pressure is alot higher than a stock tranny. I used to have a bad servo and it would shift so hard coasting(no throttle) it would squeel 35's at 20 mph with the stock 350... ended up blowing a main bearing and paying 2600 for a reman motor. The new servo helps alot but you will feel alot firmer shifts if you put the corvette stuff in.

You don't need those upgrades with that kind of power but while you got it out i say go ahead.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Show me a shop, any shop that does quantity for a price most can afford, that replaces ANY hard parts other than those that are superceded or obviously shot.

There is NO reason to replace parts that are not known problems and are not bad, and almost no shop will do that, certainly not on a "semi stock" buiild.
    I'd like to see a place that leaves old clutches in place on a rebuild, I'd sue them.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the guy i bought my rig from had the tranny rebuilt at a shop in sac that didn't change the ENTIRE clutch pack. I got a corvette shift kit and servo in the one he included with the truck but had to do the swap myself(don't care)