Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding '96 Alternator?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dyeager535, Jul 13, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Rebuilding \'96 Alternator?

Anyone ever had one apart? The earlier ones I've done, and they are easy, but a friend with no money right now asked me if I'd rebuild his '96 for him. I told him I had no experience with them whatsoever, not even looking at one, so I wasn't sure if it was as simple and cheap ($15) to do as the earlier alternators.

Anyone had one of these apart that can inform me if anything would hold up a rebuild of one of these, like pressed on parts etc.?

Thanks!

2. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Re: Rebuilding \'96 Alternator?

Wow Ive been asking around about the same thing. The altinators for those things are so expensive I coudnt beleive 140.00 for one at napa and thats a rebuilt one.
    I dont know about them taken apart as I havnt done that but I found that calling wrecking yards they had plenty of them for 35 dollars. Just take it to napa or shucks and they can test it to make sure its good. Its a cheap fix and should last some time if that helps any.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Rebuilding \'96 Alternator?

Having messed with the "old" style a lot, theres no reason to take it to have it tested. Check voltage output at the back, both with heater on high/headlights on, and without those items on. If voltage doesn't "adjust" for the additional draw and stay fairly constant, the alternator needs fixing.

$30 or so for a used one isn't that bad I guess, but compared to the $15 I can rebuild an earlier one for, I'd rather go that route. Of course, still at the mercy of aftermarket parts, but at least I know I assembled it correctly, and if the parts do their share, another 50,000 miles of alternator life (at a minimum) should be easy to attain.

he has to pull the thing one way or the other, worst case scenario I pull it apart and put it back together again and he buys a replacement, best case, its as easy and cheap as the old ones, and 30 minutes and $15 hes down the road again. I'll let you know if its a cheap/easy fix.