Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a 14bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Jul 30, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 14ff out of a 79 3/4 ton P/U. Im wanting to put it in my 82, but I would like to put new bearings, seals, (but keeping same geasrs). Nothing is wrong with it now, but I would like to do it now instead of having to pull it later. How difficult is it to do and about how expensive? What all should be done?

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Wheel bearings and seals are not too difficult to change and prolly cost about a $100.00. Got mine from Randy's ring and pinion. If the pinion seals isn't leaking, don't mess with it 'cause you have to put in a new crush sleeve if ya do. Which means putting about 450 ft.lbs. of torque on that bad boy! Good luck!

Ron

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I owuld just replace the seals adn axle bearings and be done with it.

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pull the shafts and drums, check the brakes (if they're marginal or shot replace everything [wheel cylinders, shoes, adjusters, springs, hardware, have the drums turned, etc.], check the e-brake cables (easy to change bolt in style), replace the bearings, drum seals, and axle shaft seals. If the pinion is not leaking leave it alone, but definitely pull the cover and check the ring and pinion as well as the fluid. Clean everthing well with brake cleaner (assuming everything looks OK), put a new gasket on and refill with high grade gear lube. Do it once, do it right, and you won't have to worry. Plus brakes are something you shouldn't skimp on.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The brakes are shot so instead of wasting the money on all new drum brakes, Im gonna go straight for the disk conversion.