Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding a 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a chevy 205 round adapter with a ford 31spline input. according to the guy i bought the case from it has a problem with the shifters and wont shift. given that information i assume i definitely need to rebuilt the t-case. at the same time id like to swap in a 32spline input to replace the 31spine input that is currently in there. my question is how hard is it to rebuild a 205? the case is going to be mated into a doubler, so id rather do everything at one time instead of taking it apart over and over again. while its appart, is it worth the money to put in 32spline front output? would it just be better to buy a completely rebuilt t-case from Northwest fab, and keep this one for spare parts, or sell it? im not in a rush, probably wont have the doubler adapter for a month or so, just trying to look at the options. what would you do?

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

rebuild it yourself and if you can find them at an appropriate cost you should put the better outputs in there as well, they are not neccesary though. I rebuilt my 205 recently and was pleasently suprised just how fast it goes. I upgraded to the 32 spline input for doubler use as well as a SYE from ORD. I think I have less than $300 dollars into this thing and thats way less then it costs to buy a rebuilt one.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I agree--it was pretty easy (even with mine which was a bastard child.) Remember though that even with a full reuild there are a few parts you need to keep. i.e. some snap rings, the shims that go in the idler gear (this gear actually needs backlash, but just use the same shims and you should be OK.) and something else I can't remember. What I tried to do was do one side at a time so you don't get thigs mixed up. the idler gear first. (its fun to hold the bearings when you install it:D ) front output next then rear output. another thing to remember is the shift forks go a certain direction.

A good rebuild Manual will help imensly also.

4. muddybuddy

where did you guys get your rebuild kits from? a manual wold be awesome, where can i get one? i mentioned the NWF cases because they come rebuilt and have the right input, and also are twin sticked. ill have to check my case, i think the shifters are completely messed up, they wont shift at all. but then again for the options i want the NWF case is $800. yikes

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can certainly save some money if you do the work yourself. I got my kit from ebay of all places. I think the company was transparts. I emailed the guy to make sure I bought the absolute correct kit and was very pleased as it comes with everything. I didnt have a manual but I found some threads in here and then online by doing a google search and it was plenty. These cases are pretty straight forward being all gear.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Transparts has teh exact same kit as ORD. and that is what I would have used if i would have known. I dont know who it is but some company sells brand new shift rails ready for Twin stick

7. muddybuddy

thats exactly what i need cuz my shift rails are toast:doah: hopefully somebody knows tho sells that. maybe NWF?

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Never got anything from them, but prices don't look too bad. The truck that the case came out of was so rusted, the only thing holding the cab on was gravity. The bell housing was corroded, never seen one that bad before. I know it's something stupid with the case, it did turn over, and IIRC the rail did move. Trying to think if the washer that holds the bearings for the rear output, if I had a diagram I could show you, don't know the names for the parts...

http://jkwoffroad.com/offroadproducts.php

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

No reason to swap to a 32 spline... waste if money

10. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Muddy, PM MEK5 on here; he can help you with all the parts you need including twinstick rails and he's a good guy.
    Jimbo

11. muddybuddy

cool thanks jimbo

12. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I would just rebuild what you have instead of buying one,tons of info out there.You have been around here for awhile now and have done alot to your truck and can certainly do a 205.

You need to have a look inside and see whats going on,probably got water inside and is rusted up?
    Why are your rails toast?

I have lots of parts and can help get you thru the rebuild if you want.

Heres a picture of the workings of a 205, its a LoMax but you get the idea.

Hey Thanks Jimbo:thumb:

Assemblies ready to install.jpg

Ready to fit range fork.jpg

13. muddybuddy

if im rebuiling it, why not go lomax:haha: i just got back to school, so ill check it out when i get home again. im sure there is water and everything:doah:

lookin at your sug ur buildin up a m1009, exactly what i want to do once i find one, just getting everything ready so i can drop it all in once i find a good deal (axles are comin out from under the k5)

14. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

15. muddybuddy

thanks man i appreciate it, well i know the gears arent that clean!:doah: wish they were. do you have gears and what not? so i should still get a rebuild kit and buy gears and such from you?

16. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have all the stuff that is not included in a rebuild kit if yours is bad.You will need a rebuild kit for sure!

17. muddybuddy

cool beans, once i tear it open ill hit you up. since i spend good money on my bling 203 range box, and going to be spending $$ for the doubler adapter, im probably going to want all the parts you got:D i never wana have to tear this suck open again, "set-it and forget-it" if you will:haha:

18. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of rails from JKW, good service, good people to deal with. Their price went up a little since I bought mine.