Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding a 208? ever do it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think my 208 needs a rebuild job. You can wiggle the slip yoke in the rear and the shaft in the front so I think both the outer bearings are done. Has anyone around here ever done it themselves? Rebuild kits are like $150 on ebay.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am currently in the middle of this with my 208 for a 700R4. It is pretty simple tear apart. It is all pretty straight forward. As you get in there you will see.

I haven't gotten around to the reassembly yet so I am not sure how tough the reassembly will be. I just hope it works right when I get everything back together.

You can get a parts diagram at your local GM dealership along with most the the bearings and such. Napa also carries alot of the bearings. If you can't find the bearings there then Drivetrain.com has just about everything.

Harley

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any special pullers or anything needed?

4. Hossbaby50

Nope, the only thing I ran into is some of the large c-clips on the gears are a PITA to get off. And there is also a fairly large nut for the front output that you need a large socket for (over 1").

Also when you pull the mainshaft be over a flat large surface. About 80 needle bearings will fall all over the place. I learned the hard way. Over a large oil drip pan would work great. Beyond those things I used standard hand tools to remove everything.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

the wiggle you feel in your rear shaft is the worn out bushing that is in the tail houseing, that is a cheap part to replace by timkin at autozone, about 8$ for a new rear seal and the bushing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Just started this week.
    Bought a video that walks you through whole process including inspection. $30 from technical video, they're on the web. Rebuild kit **complete** national drivetrain $125 + shipping. Have'nt torn into the case yet. right now it's draining into an oil pan(and my driveway!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

7. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine twice. Once it kept popping out of gear because of worn out shift forks. The second time was because I shattered the front case half /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I used the National Drivetrain kit the first time. It was very complete. I used my trusty Haynes manual to redo it. A slide-hammer bearing puller would have been handy, other than that, just a good selection of hand tools will work. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I just did mine using a Haynes manual, it has pretty good instructions. Im planning to do a write up, I took lots of pics, but I also installed a SYE

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking about SYE too, whats the budget on that one without new shaft?

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I payed about $200 if I remember correctly. That was for the Dodge parts from K10andyknamic. Then I just had to buy the yokes($25 each) and the rebuild kit (about $125).

11. Hossbaby50

I just finished the reassembly of the NP 208 last night. It isn't to difficult as long as you have a decent memory and the diagram. I got it back together without alot of hassle. I resealed it and it will be going back in tomorrow. I tested the shifting last night and I have all ranges. 2hi, 4hi, Neutral, and 4low so it is all good.

Harley

12. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Is a 241 about the same as a 208? Mine wont stay in 4 hi and I got the engine out and I might as well remedy that problem.