Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Aug 7, 2005.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I have a a SRW Dana 60 from a 1985 K30. It is complete, sans one caliper mounting bracket. Now the bad. It is completely disassembled, with the exception of the center chunk (gears). It will need all new bearings, seals, etc. How much money are we talking here? I have the hubs, and I'm almost positive they are warn's, so I should be able to exchange for new with minimal, if any money. I'm more concerned about the bearings, seals, king pin, blah, blah, blah. Any ideas? Oh, and heres a pic of my, at the moment, huge paperweight. Disregard the 14 bolt, but notice all the pieces parts for the 60 in the paint trays?! Yeah.

[​IMG]

Kris

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I only see a red X but I just did this to mine as I got it completely disassembled with the exception of the center section and the kingpins where still in the Cs. I did not replace wheel bearings I checked them and loaded them with grease. I replaced the spindle seal kit and put new u-joints in it cleaned and painted. One thing if it has anything to do with a 60 it aint cheap. Not necesarrily expensive just not cheap. As of right now with all the nickel and dime stuff I prolly have put about 200 and I still need to get the kingpin bushing a spring kit from Watson which is like $18. With bearings and all I think you are looking at close to $500 and that is if you do not have to get an install kit to replace pinion and carrier bearings. Remember now this is just a SWAG from looking for parts that I have needed.
    Here is a pic of mine.
    [​IMG]

Ira

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I think the center section is fine. Everything seems to be in order in there. I'm thinking more along the lines of everything else, minus the chunk. I was figuring somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 or so. I'm sure the kingpins need to be rebuilt too. Here is a link to the pic.

Pics of the axle in question.

Also, where are some good sources for bearings, seals, and the like. Have you found it to be cheaper to get stuff off the internet or locally?

Kris

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya you could def do for that or less. The hardest part of my build was the cleaning as I dont have a pressure washer or anything so I used a wire brush carb and break cleaner and about 5 days of cleaning. First thing to do is to take the knuckles off and start cleaning. Unless you want to change out the wheel bearings I would clean and inspect them to see if they are reusable but with what you have planned on spending it is very possible provided you are not going to regear and lock it right now.

There is a guy on E-bay that has a store that sells all kinds of bearing and seals for 60 and other stuff Parts Mike is also good.

Ira

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

No plans on regearing the axle or locking either. Its already 4.10, which is fine for me. I'm just wanting to get the axle ready so I can swing it under my truck, which I'm sure will be a while. As far as bearing go, they are all toast. I'll have to look into the ebay thing. Is there any "Master kit" out there that covers everything in one shot?

Kris

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

He sells the wheel bearings as a kit for both sides. I also got my spindle bearings and seals as a kit for the axle as well as a set of dana 60 spindle nuts for my 14FF. Just gotta file the tab a little to allow it to fit in the 14FF keyway and then you only need one socket to do both of your axles :D

Here is a link to his e-bay store

Dana 60 parts

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Much appreciated for all the quick help!

Kris

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

D60 Parts

Also check with this GUY off of Pirate. Doug is great guy, I've built 2 dana 60s and got all my parts from him. Fast shipping too.

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

2X :waytogo: