Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jan 19, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Oct 31, 2002
    I'm picking a Dana 60 thats in pieces and needs all new bearings and seals. All the little pieces parts are there, but I have a feeling some of the hardware is gonna need to be replaced too. At any rate, does anyone have a good source for rebuild parts/kits? How tough of a project is this going to be? I've never tackeled anything like this before. The gears are in good shape and if at all possible, I don't want to remove them since they are already set up. Any and all information, advice, and tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Aug 26, 2001
    I got my king pin rebuilds from Randy's R&P

You may not want to replace the kingpins themselves b/c they are a humangous biatch. I replaced the bshing and spring up top and replaced dust cap, race, bearing, and seal on the bottom of the knuckle. (all of these parts come in rebuild kit) even doing that, driving the race in and out was a biatch. You may want to replace wheel bearings and seals and calipers/rotors, ujoints. And thats about it.

I got everything else mentioned previously from CarQuest becuase i know some people that work there. I bought my hubs from ORD, but i had to convert from DRW to SRW.

Pirate4x4 KingPin Rebuild Write Up

Pirate Dana 60 bible

These two links, a brass punch, and a BFH were what made rebuilding my 60 possible. My rebuild pics