Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a front Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 5, 2002.

I may be able to get a hold of a cheap Dana 60 and was wondering if I could do most of the work on cleaning it up and rebuilding it. It comes with new 4:88's and open carrier, new install kit for the new gears, but not installed. The rest of the axle is rusty and filthy, but looks like it could be cleaned except the calipers may need replaced. I have never worked on a Dana 60, just watched a few thing here and there, but have tore into everything on a 10 bolt and 14 bolt except for the R&P. How much would it cost to go through it and then I would have someone do the ring and pinion?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I started with this www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/images/one_ton_project_d60_from_the_front.jpg..............took a helluva lot of work with the 4" angle grinder using wire wheels and a sandblaster. Just have to take your time.............as far as the rebuild, I had a bud do it but with the right tools and the D60 service manual available on CK5 main page it should be very doable.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. it looks a little different !! Actually the before pic looks close to the one I found. How much did it run to rebuild and what did you do to it?

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I recently finished the install of a D60 that I purchased earlier in the year. I chose to sandblast rather than a hand grinder, mainly because I had access to one, and after starting with the sandblaster I found it did a great job of getting into the small places that a grinder can't. I realize that how clean I got it had zero to do with how well it works, but the sandblaster does an awsome job and the axle looks like new when painted. All my gears, bearings, kingping bushings, and seals looked new so I did not have to rebuild anything. I did replace the calipers, brake shoes, and had the rotors turned. All that was about $75.00.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

4. I hope the insides of this one looks as good as yours did and that will save me some money. The guy wants $850 for the thing and it has 4:56's now.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We put all new everything in the thing, cost a few hundred bucks, plus the Detroit. This had rust/mud inside it so I wanted to do it once and forget it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. I probably snag this axle in the spring time and rebuild over the summer. Then I'll have me a 1 ton Burb !! Then it's time to get out the SawZall and make a two door Burb !!! That should cut some weight off of the ole girl !! lol