Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a "frozen" block...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 12, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

As many of you know, I was cruising along at 85mph when my engine decided it was too dry to keep running, and locked up a piston into a cylinder wall. Now, I have not yet taken the engine apart, so I don't know what kind of damage was done, but in everyone's experience, after a lock up like this, what are the odds that the block is salvageable and rebuildable?

If it is likely that I can successfully remove the piston that locked up without damage to the block, what's the largest I can bore a 327 block out to and still be reliable and not too power hungry... I'd almost like to stroke it if I can... but I've never heard of anyone stroking a 327.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could stroke it to a 350 or 383. The 327 block has the same bore as the 350 just a shorter stroke

3. PhoenixZorn

So if I bore it to about 355, and re-hone the cylinder walls, it should be good to go?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

maby you will have no idae until you get the heads off and see how bad the cylinder is. Running it dry might have caused groves so deep that they can no be repaired by boring then you will need a new block

5. PhoenixZorn

it's not a needed block... I already replaced it with a 350... it was just going to be my first real engine project... I was going to pull it all apart, sadn blast it down to bare metal, and go from there... I gotta get all the crap out of my bed and find an engine stand by thursday, since that will be the next time I see the engine.

On a side note, I'm taking the eaton valve covers and maybe the heads off the 327 to possibly use on my 350... any issues with that other than making sure they are clean? The 327 heads have regular rockers, not rollers, but my 350 doesn't have rollers either. Need suggestions.

Also, how much will the 327 heads affect other parts of the engine, like compression and such? I have been told that 327 heads add power to a 350, but I want to hear it over and over again until I'm convinced. =)

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

If run out of oil you can expect it to need at least a few rods, all new pistons, an overbore if the walls are not scored to bad, a crankshaft, and pray it did not spin a main bearing if the block in my book is junk unless you line bore it. Thats my take of what it would take to make it reliable again.

bigred81

7. PhoenixZorn

oK... so the consensus then is to get rid of it... should the heads still be good if the rest of the motor is trashed?

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Good 350 cores are far too cheap to even worry about messing with one that might be damaged. The extra machine work required would most likely cost ya more than a core engine that hasn't been siezed. :cool1: I've seen 350's go for anywhere from free to $150.