Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a NP208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Mar 9, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I have been thinking about rebuilding my NP208. What is a good rebuild kit? What does it take to rebuild a NP208?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Piece 'o cake....I just did my 241...

www.nationaldrivetrain.com for parts

Bearing/seal kit was $111, chain was $80, my range fork was toast $55 or so

Local shops wanted like $600 if I brought it in...Patience and Good snap ring pliers get 'er done....

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Buy quality seals whatever you do, I went for cheap seals and now the stupid thing leaks front and rear after only 12k miles! :mad:

5. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to rebuild mine to because it leaks and constantly slips out of 4 high and 4 low and was wondering if there were any parts that could be used to upgrade its strength while i had it apart.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are no upgrade parts available. They are easy to rebuild. I have rebuilt several. I rebuilt the last one on the tailgate of my truck in about an hour.

I got my parts from www.Drivetrain.com

Harley

7. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Is this the kit I should use?
    http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercase_kits/k20800_208tc.htm
    See. my T-case will sometimes kick out of 2H and then I will have to put the truck in "N" then shut it of then put it in park. Then 4L then start the truck up them put it in 2H, ETC. Now the truck will have bad and good days where my 4WD will stay ingaged, or not stay ingaged.
    Thanks
    Adam

8. adamforsythe

By the way. I want to clock my T-case so it does not hang down so low. What do I need to do that? My T-case is bolted to a adapter kit that is bolted to a TH350.
    Thanks
    Adam

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That looks like it is a pretty good kit. When I go threw my 208's I only replace the parts that are bad. If your truck is popping threw gears I would be willing to bet that either the Range or Mode fork or both is the problem. Neither of those parts are in that kit.

The first time I rebuilt my case I had a bad bushing in the Planetary set and a wasted bearing. I replaced them and everything was great till I did some unholy things in my truck and broke alot of things including the tcase along with bending the tcase mainshaft.

Last time I went threw my case my problem was the planetary set. It was loose causing some side to side play in the gear causing bad noises. It actually sounded like the front output bearings but those were fine.

I would suggest you tear your case apart and find out what is wrong with it before you go ordering a bunch of parts. New bearings can never hurt but I doubt that just new bearings is going to solve a shifter problem. Open it up and order/find what parts you need. This is assuming though that this isn't your DD and you have nothing else to drive.

Harley

10. adamforsythe

Hey,
    This is my DD. The T-case has almost 200,000 miles on it. Now when I first bought the truck and my T-case starting to act up. I found that I have been driving around for about 4 months with NO fluid in my T-case :mad: . The jerks that put my engine in and did tranny work to my truck didn't put fluid back into my T-case.
    Thanks
    Adam