Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a old 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kajun_K5, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Kajun_K5

Kajun_K5 Registered Member

I just got a '79 K5 with a 350 V8. The motor is shot and I'm going to pull it and start rebuilding it next weekend. Is any modifications ya'll would recommend while I have it out that would be fairly inexpensive. I already figured I would go ahead and board it out and change the pistons but anything else?

Why the hell not?
    http://www.geocities.com/daniel_ray_deville/My_Blazer/my_blazer.htm

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

High perf parts everywhere, although that may get expensive... Use a high volume/pressure oil pump, too, to keep the blood flowing well (instead of re-using the stock pump)!
    Do you know how the motor is shot? Thrown bearings? overheated to death?

Ratch
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/08/01 10:41 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Stick with low torqure and low compression. Don't go overboard with too much cam. Edelbrock and Rochester seem to be the best carbs for 4 wheeling, they don't choke when unlevel. I've heard that headers really aren't worth the gain in horsepower because of the buildup of heat from them. I guess if you had the hot coated you could avoid that. 2 1/2" exhaust dual, if you are allowed to in your state. Oh yea, get you a new ignition designed with multi spark and rev limiter if its in this budget.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Before you rebuild it check on how much it is going to cost to get done what you want. Then look into the crate engine option. It might be cheaper for you to go with a crate engine. I have seen 350 4 bolt main longblocks at Autozone for about $800 with a warrenty.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Rebuild carb, Edelbrock Performer intake, Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam, either the 250/258 grind or the 254/262 grind, Vortec heads and proper intake to go with them if you can afford them, and definitely a set of Jet-Hot coated headers and dual exhaust. Lose your EGR, smog pump, and cat if you can get away with it. It'll clean up your engine compartment a lot.

If it spun a bearing or something, be sure to check it if needs to be line bored or honed. Have it magnafluxed to check for cracks. Don't bore it too much, either. I'm sure you knew all those things, but I figured I'd mention it anyway just to be sure.

I don't know if the high volume/high pressure pump is necessary. I have the M55HV high volume pump in mine and I get 70 PSI at 3000 RPM. That's a lot of oil pressure. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have the standard volume/pressure pump with the Z28 spring in it that costs about 60 cents from the GM parts counter.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I really dont think that jet hot is neccesary, for the cost that is, maybe if you get the dynomax headers that are already coated for about $210. Annd also, there is so much room in a blazers engine compartment that it gets a lot of cool air. Other that the possability of heat, no reason not to run headers. Everyone that races motor vehicles agrees that if you want to improve power you should improve exhaust flow.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep, those are the ones that I have, the coated Dynomax ones, $206.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Racers get air flow over their engine because their speed, our heat problem comes from going slow and without the benefit of air flow to cool us down. Also a good reason to install an electric fan. just my .02 worth

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

9. Kajun_K5

10. Kajun_K5

11. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

can anyone say Weiand 6-71 Blower?

phill

12. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if you do go with hivolume oil pump make sure you have the big oil pan. i seen the big mistake of having a smaller(pass car) oil pan in specially at high RPMs.
    here is a source for rebuild, www.naparts.com they carry the 383 kit w/crank for about 550.
    go with the vortec heads and stay in the low end power range.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

13. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

AutoZone remanufactred motors. I know people who've made that mistake. Crate or rebuild is the way to go. Vortec heads/intake for carb or TBI are great for K5s. 160 degree thermostat and elec. fans are good investment too.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was thinking about this project on the way home from work today. When I get off my butt and pick up a 350 to rebuild, I'm probably going to look for 87 or newer for the heads (since the Vortec equipment costs an arm and a leg), then a full TPI system. If I pick up an older one, I'll try to find the 87 up heads and a full TPI, but would be fine with TBI.
    I don't know what your preference of fuel delivery is, but I figured it might be something to think about. I think if you go crate you have to put on your own fuel system anyway, but I could be wrong.
    And just my opinion, strictly my opinion, I don't think re-using an oil pump from a blown motor would be a smart way to protect your investment in this motor. If you need to spend only $6 instead of $30 (even a new stock pump with the high press spring, at least you will know it's not worn out or hiding metal particles and waiting to spit them into your new motor), maybe it would be a better idea to wait until more funds become available to do it all right the first time. Again, this is strictly opinion.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**