Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a power steering pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surg82k5, May 23, 2002.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 2wd power steering pump on my dads truck, it leaks a whole bunch of fluid usually when parked over night.. I am just wondering how difficult it is to rebuild one and where should i get a kit with all the seals.. and anything particular I should look out for... thanks for the help..
    Sergio

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Never rebuilt a PS pump before, but have had several PS leaks, mostly from hoses (you didn't say if you checked those or not, but I would start there as it is easier). I have also had 2 leak at the high pressure outlet where the high pressure line connects and goes to the steering box. A little (emphasize little) tephlon tape after removing the hose and fitting from the back of the pump and cleaning them, and the leaks disappeared. Just things to consider first (or you may have already, if so, ignore this). HTH

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's not that hard to do, but you need to have the right tool to remove and then reinstall the pulley. Once that's out of the way, the rest is pretty easy. But compare the prices between the seal kit and a rebuilt pump. Sometimes the difference isn't worth the hassle.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just making sure here.

Pwer steering pump, or the power steering box?

Ken H.

5. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Well Ken .. I am actually talking about the box not the pump... sorry didn't really think about what i was typing.. sorry for the confusion and thanks for helping me clear up my mistake...
    Sergio

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it's the steering box, then all bets are off. Go buy a rebuilt one. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Oh yeah, unless you're doing a crossover steering swap, a 2WD box won't work on a 4WD anyway.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Because like others said the pump, just buy another one.

I myself am going to rebuild a box real soon. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I caught myself saying pump a few times when I was talking about the box really.

Ken H.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is so common just to say "go buy another one"
    In my night class we have been rebuilding P/S pumps, gear boxes (both manual and power assisted) and rack and pinions. Everyone is scared to rebuild these things, but when the teacher walks you through all the parts and how to rebuild 'em it's cake.

All are pretty easy. If your gearbox is leaking i'm going to guess its leaking out of the top seal like mine.
    You can go to Napa or maybe Kragens and get the new seal for the top of the steering box, undo the steering linkage at the rag joint, and installing the new seal should be easy with it still in the truck.