Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a SM465 and NP205 TC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Jun 21, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I know very little about rebuilding thing like this, but i figure there is only one way i am going to learn. First, can this be done with basic hand tools, its all i got so far. The sm465 and 205 are in a 80 3/4 ton with a 350. It has 10 splines. is it worth trying to find 32 spline one? Figure since its a part might as well try to make as strong as i can. Anything else worth doing to the 465? As for the 205 i am going to get ride of the slip yoke and make it a twin stick. So would a 80 205 have a big bearing or a small one? I think that is how it goes. What would need to be done to make it a big bearing? Anything else to add please post up. As always the for the help guys....

mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I recommend the 32 spline setup solely based on getting rid of the splined coupler. The 10 spline one if nothing else adds slop to the drivetrain which is bad enough already. For heavy use, the 32 spline is better for strength as well of course.

In my area, the 465 is common enough that you can buy 32 spline ones for $50 or so, which means that the internals should be in better shape than an older one too. (theoretically of course)

Heres some 32 spline info ORD 205 page

3. 84CUCV

COOL thanks i will start to look for one.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Just a word of caution, I have been trying to find a 32 spline 465/205 setup for around a year and a half, with no luck. However I refuse to pay the upwards of $400 that people who know what it is worth want.

As Dyeager said, the 10 spline stuff sucks. That stupid sleeve destroyed itself in my truck and took the tranny tailshaft with it.

I was just going to rebuild mine with a new 32 spline mainshaft, since it needed it anyway, and then figure out something to get 32 splines in the 205's input. A new input gear for the 205 runs ~$150 or so, and then you need to have the case bored and get a larger bearing. Then, there is the adapter issue- I emailed Stephen at ORD and he makes an adapter/bearing retainer that will bolt to the rear of a stock 10 spline adapter to make it the proper length for the 32 spline shaft ( which is long). I forget what his price was, but I seem to think it was in the $180 neighborhood, and this was last year. This is not listed on his website and he said he makes them in small batches once in a while when he has enough orders- so it may take a while, as well.

Bottom line, the best way to do it is to find a stock setup- but since they only came in K30's from 85-91, they are hard to find, at least a lot harder than the usual 10 spline setups. I may just end up running a divorced 205 if I can't find a 32 spline setup, just to get rid of the sleeve.

I hope this has helped you out.

5. 84CUCV

thx i didnt know all that took that much to do. I will see how it goes. let you know if i find something to. mike

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If you replaced the 10 spline coupler, then the slop would be gone. Thats what I did anyway, but mine wasnt that bad.