Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a SM465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Apr 12, 2001.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm debating on whether or not to rebuild my 465 myself or pay the $350 I was quoted by a local driveline shop. Has anyone ever attempted this? Is it difficult? Where is a good place to get a rebuild kit and maybe a rebuild manual? I appreciate any input. Thanks -Tommy

2. FWP

FWP CRS

It's not too dificult, if you have the right tools. If you have an assortment of GOOD bearing pullers and tranny pliers. Why do you need to rebuild it?, they only have a few parts that wear out- syncros and shift rail. As far as a rebuild manual, get a copy of the Mitchel manual pages from your local library reference section, or borrow a friends shop manual.

[​IMG]

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Its the synchronizers. Its hard to upshift/downshift to second. There is also a whine that I assume is a worn input bearing. Plus it bleeds on my driveway :( That's at least 2 and a half reasons. -Tommy

4. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

A manual is FAR easier to rebuild than an auto, just make sure you've got the correct tools and repair manuals.

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you want to mess with the rebuild? Assuming we are labeling it as Low, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: They are all pretty hard to get back into first gear. And while they aren't as noisy as the older equivalent SM420, they still just kinda make SOME noise. Maybe you could put new seals on it and just forget the rest. Mine has exactly your 2.5 reasons, and it has been that way for the last 4 years...nothing major has broken yet on it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. FWP

FWP CRS

I agree with 73. I tore mine down on the truck just to inspect it. The T-case was trashed as well as the adapter, so I needed to look at the tranny as well. The syncros were worn, but I was more concened about broken parts or bad bearings. I didn't find any. I put it back together with a good cleaning. Those trannys are tough, I wouldn't tear it down unless you think somethings actually broken.

I would take off the inspection covers, to check for bits and pieces at the bottom of the housing though. It's pobably full of sludge at the bottom as well, that you can clean out. That's easy to do. Who knows, it may shift smoother with some fresh oil........HTH

[​IMG]

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I consider mine as 1-2-3-4 cuz I have to start off in low due to 35's and stock gearing (3.07's I think). So for me its a regular 4 speed.
    I pretty much thought the same thing about my problems w/ shifting from low to 1st and down from 2nd to 1st since low and 1st are so low and that there is a pretty big differance between 2nd and 1st. (using the L-1-2-3 pattern)
    I just like to shift hard and rip 2nd (actually 1st gear) from time to time. Its pretty cool to hear those big 35's cherp in 2nd.
    If these problems are are comon to everyone then I probably won't waste my time w/ the rebuild.
    Anyone else out there w/ a 465 have the same problems?

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Granny low (no offense to the old guys on the board[​IMG]) is NOT syncro'd, you can't use it as a regular gear unless you are ready to deal with the difficult shift on the road.

Oh BTW, you might consider the regearing. 6:1 tranny and 2:1 plus on the t-case, and 4:10 or 4:56 is really cool to see crawl....

[​IMG]

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a '77 with that setup. If you like to bark those 35's very often, be sure to carry spare u-joints and keep a spare rearend in the garage. [​IMG] It's only a matter of time until something inside scatters. [​IMG] The shock loading is incredible when you speed shift like that.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...