Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a steering column.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rugger03, Jun 29, 2002.

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I purchased a tilt steering column which needs to be rebuilt, has anyone done this or know af a place that does it. The threaded shaft that locks the steering wheel on has been striped smooth. And the output from the column to the steering shaft is so deformed they will not fit together. I have a donor non tilt and can get another tilt column for parts if needed. Any info will be appreciated. thanks, rugger

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

with what would be involved in changing that stripped shaft I would think it would be easier to repair the other column or buy one that doesn't need fixed. If you can find one with a loose tilt swivel it can be repaired much easier than changing out those other parts, there are some webpages I've seen that show whats necessary to repair the loose swivel. If you're interested in a good column, I have one out of a '90 blazer, tilt, automatic shift, cruise and delay wiper controls, with a deluxe wheel. good luck with whatever you decide.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Thnaks for the info, I sort of figured that after looking at the diagrams. I'm sending you a PM.
    rugger

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There are places that do rebuild columns. As to who they are or how to find 'em, that's a little tricky. They can't base thier business on building columns, the one shop I know that did this was also just a regular body shop. Anyhow, I'd do some web searches and you should be able to round up a few shops that do this type of work. There's also a couple of shops on ebay that continuously sell rebuild columns, don't know if they are any good or not, but I'm sure you could get thier shop name, call 'em and see what they have to say.

BlazerMan