Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a stock 350

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Aug 23, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I was given a 350 4 bolt, engine to put in my blazer...Any suggestions on what parts to use, and where to get them? I am not wanting to go too deep in debt.
    Ed

2. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Check out PAW, Performance Automotive Warehouse, they have complete engine rebuild kits that are reasonable.. If you have a good automotive machine shop, they can check the block & heads for you, vat the engine and replace the cam bearings & freeze plugs. Then you can assemble the engine at home or get them to do the short block. If you do it right, you can have a new engine for around $1,000 $1,500 depending on what you do to it.. Such as balancing blueprinting, cam, intake etc...

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Take it to the machinest after you disassemble it and have him/her mic it and magnaflux it first. After you do that ask your question again with the results from the machinest. It would be much easier to give you some ideas on what to do then. Tolerance is a very important thing with an engine.

John

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I agree with chevyracing. Have it cleaned, then crack-checked (magnafloux, zyglow, etc.), then have all of the bores, journals, and saddles measured. Order your parts after you know what machining will be necessary.

Depending on what kind of engine you're trying to build, you may end up wanting to partially assemble it (after you've gotten some of the machining done and have fitted the majority of the parts) and measure some of the other clearances.

6. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Well, I have the blocked cleaned, magged, checked for cracks. Bored .030 over. Crank is in the shop being turned .01 over on the main and rod journals.
    I ordered rebuild kit from Powerhouse.
    We will see how it comes together this week.
    Are there any rec's regarding heads? Rebuilding vs. busing new or remanufactured?
    Any good or bad runs with Vortec heads?
    Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive set of good heads?
    Ed

7. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Vortec's are good heads but they are limited in lift in stock form but with new springs can be made to fit a cam with decent lift. I think they would work well if this is a street driven engine. I know scoggin dickey sells new valve springs with a small diameter that can accomodate larger lifts. They may work for the vortecs otherwise you have to cut the spring pockets a little to accomodate a wider diameter spring but there are tools out there for this as well easily found. I think crane cams makes some. Good luck

8. chevyracing

Remember with the vortec heads you will also need self aligning rockers, (50 bucks from Chevy) and an intake that is drilled verticle at the corners rather than angled. Performer RPM is a good choice for an intake with those heads.

John

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Does any one have or know where I can get a good in-expensive set of heads for the 350 I am rebuilding?
    Ed

10. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

The center bolts are vertical...
    You can oval out the stock holes to make the stock manifold work. I read that in Hot Rod Magizine, and have done it on my older Vette.
    Ed

11. chevyracing

Vortec heads do not have the center bolts, just the 8 end bolts. I should say the ones I have done did not have the center bolts anyway.

John

12. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Even if you hog out the bolt hole to get a stock manifold to fit the ports do not line up perfectly and as a result a power loss will result.

13. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the center bolts on the sides of the manifold. The ones in the middle of the side bolts. NOT in the heads for the valve covers. Sorry about the confusion

14. chevyracing

I was talking about the bolts that secure the manifold to the heads. The Vortecs do not have the four bolts in the center by the carb, they just have the 2 on each corner.

John