Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a th350??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Oct 13, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

OK, here is the deal, i have a good performing th350 k-case that has a cracked case. Then i have a th350 k-case that needs rebuilt. Realisticly how hard would it be to swap guts from the cracked case into the good case? I have never been inside an automatic before other than shift kits and fluid changes. Any special tools? Or would i be better off just having a pro swap them or just rebuild the good case one?????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

get your self a manual for that tranny. The only special tool that you would need would be a low/ reverse spring compressor. you would also need new pump to case gasket, and new valve body gaskets. Take every thing out of the old case and just make sure it is very clean then follow the manual it should not be to hard because all the clutch packs are together

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

some good snap ring plyers and assembly greese are a must too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yup its "easy" Iv done a few of them now and im only 18 but every one of them have worked good. Snap rings are a pain though. DEFEINTLY GET A MANUAL!! Haynes is the one ive been the most happy with. You should be able to get It all done in a day (if you got most of the day available. Some one that has done it before could get it done in in a few hours /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine and it was a pain in the a$$. I bought a kit, and went at it. The reverse sprag exploded inside the case and chewed up a several other parts. Discovered my case was cracked when I went to have it hot tanked. Found a core and continued the rebuild. I did something wrong but I haven't had the energy to figure out what yet - just bought another truck instead /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When it was all said and done, rebuilding it myself cost me just a little less than buying a rebuilt transmission with a warranty. The kit was around $120, Shift kit $20, t-converter $80, replacement parts $40, new K case $125, machine work and hot tank the new case $110.

If you have a good case, your a step ahead.