Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a TH350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bouncytruck, Apr 1, 2002.

1. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'm currently rebuilding my TH350. I have it almost completely torn down but I can't get the last set of clutches out (reverse clutches?) The book says that I need a special tool, reverse clutch spring compressor, to remove the snap ring but I can't find one. How did the rest of you who have rebuilt TH350's compress this spring set? Please help, I need to get this thing finished.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

If i remember correctly it's a big long nose snap ring to reach way down in there. last th350 i rebuilt was a bit over 10yrs ago.

ARQ.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hear that TH400's and TH-350's are almost the same in terms of rebuilding 'em and the parts inside...
    When i rebuilt my TH-400 I made sure to borrow that <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=341>clutch hub compressor tool</a> (heres a pic to show you what it looks like)... only to come to find out i didn't even need to use it to get the clutches out.
    I was able to pry the snap ring with a little pick. They aren't under spring pressure, so as long as you can just pry that snap ring out... start at one end and then work your way around.. there should be little grooves every 1/2" or so where you can get a pick in a pry the snap ring up.

If that doesn't get it I had a buddy push down with both hands on the top of the clutch hub, and then it was easier.

Just remember... Don't force anything! It should come apart and go back together realatively easy. If you think you have to force anything, something isn't right.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?Page=1> Here's the pic's of my TH-400 rebuild if it'll help at all.</a>
    There ain't nothing like the feeling of doing it yourself... saving mucho $$$ , doing a good job yourself, and learning something new in the process.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hope this will help ya! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Let us know how it turns out when you're finished! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

<a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=330> I just found this picture of the clutch hub i think you're talking about.</a>
    Is this it?

... And just curious... what rebuild book or manual are you using, and how do ya like it?

5. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

keep us posted on this maybe take some pics, I also want to rebuild my TH-350, but have yet to get all the details. A tech article would be a great thing. Jesse

6. i found a shop that will remove my low reverse, clean the case and reinstall for like 20 bucks. the rest is easy. see if you can find a do it yourself friendly shop in your area.

7. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

When I did mine I used a steering lock plate tool with a longer bolt and a large flat washer. Take the handle part of the tool off and place the "u" facing down. Then run the bolt through the tool and out the bottom of the caes. Next put the big washer (or a piece of metal strap with a hole drilled in it ) over the bolt and put a nut on it. The washer has to be larger than the case. Slowly tighten the nut down until you have compressed the springs enough to pry the snap ring out. Then like Chilton's says" assembly is the reverse of disassembly" Hope this helps.-Russell

8. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I bought the spring compressor you are talking about from the same place as my rebuild kit, cost like $35. Kinda spendy but, when I thought about how long it would take me to make one the price didn't seem too bad. It made the job so easy with no risk of damage. I just used 6" C clamps for all the other clutch packs.

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I was able to remove all the other snap rings and clutch sets by compressing the springs by hand. This last one is just too deep to reach by hand and get another arm in there to remove the snap ring. I look into rigging something up or taking into a shop and see what they would charge.

RyanB- Your rebuild photos were a big inspriation in doing the job myself. I actually have two books which is working very nice. One is the Haynes TurboHydromatic rebuild book and I can't remember the name of the other but I'll check tonight. It is nice because they each discribe things slightly different. If one doesn't make since, I can just read the other and figure it out. I did notice that they do a few things in different orders so I just picked the easiest one.