Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding a tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Dec 5, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

title says it. how hard is to rebuild a tranny? its a th350. it wont leave second even with fluid. i was thinking about trying it myself. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif its how i did my first motor at 14. i took it apart and 3 months later it cranked. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif lotta books and wasted effort. now i can do it in 2-3 days if the machine shop isnt slow. i am driving my car for now so time is not an issue. afetr this i want to learn to swap gears. im just an average shadetree mechanic, but i probably have 90 % of the tools i guess i'll need.
    i probably will do the 205 also if i do this

any opinions.

69K5
    nathan

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think you may need a few special tools for the 350..I know with the 700r4, you need a special tool to compress the cluch packs in the drub whil you install the snaprings...but I am unsure...there is a company called Technical Video, IIRC, that makes step-by-step videos to rebuilding trannies, t-case, diffs, etc...I bout the 700r4 vid from them when I was planning on doing it myself....but I swapped to a manual instead...

Yes, it can be done and the 350 is a bunch easier than a 700...but I am unsure what tools you need...

Chris

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i saw some videos in the library i thought about. is there a way to add an overdrive to a th350? i dont want a 700 r4 and cant find a th400.

i plan on running 4.10's

thanks

nathan

4. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

As far as automatics go the th350 is probably the easist in the world to rebuild. basic tools, good (GOOD) snap ring pliers and something to compress piston springs (an extra set of strong hands will do) is all you need. For info and maybe even instuctions check transonline.com

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What do you actually replace when you rebuild a tranny(I would be doing a 700R4) and really how hard is it and how much would it cost to do it yourself?

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

A typical tranny rebuild just replaces the seals/gaskets, as well as the clutches and steels and bands...rebuilding a 700 is a middle of the road job, but it is also one of the easiest to screw up...I was going to do it but whimped out...that is why I have a 4-speed manual now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifno more burnt ATF or POS autos for me...

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The only special tool I needed was the low/reverse spring compressor. You'll need that to get it out of the case. Other than that, some good snap-ring pliers and two 6" C-clamps.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif