Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding a turbocharger

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by azblazor, Sep 1, 2004.

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I picked up a banks turbocharger that needs rebuilding. Anybody here done there own?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THey sell rebuild kits for the factory 6.5 diesels on ebay- all the rubber parts and stuff.

Havent seen one for banks. (on ebay at least). Might have to call them.

3. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should be holding a Garrett T04B, and the rebuild part should be no farther than a call to the local turbo shop, or an online vendor like Turbo Technology. There's really not much to it. A couple of oil seals, shaft bushings, and bearing, and before you know it you're done.

Personally, I would take it into a shop to have it rebuilt since setting the preload on the bearing can be kind of difficult, and any slop would result in a major di$a$ter.

4. azblazor

Yeah turbo city wants 90 plus shipping and local shop wants about 100. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and their results. The local shop wants about 100 for labor. It's not the money so much as I would like to do it. I also want to smooth up the casings and do a little porting. It is a T04b, but I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Banks and they are pretty much a zero as far as parts or help. I talked to both sales and tech. They do sell a new center section for about 500.

5. azblazor

[ QUOTE ]
    since setting the preload on the bearing can be kind of difficult, and any slop would result in a major di$a$ter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh - where did this infor come from ...tech manual?

Thanks
    Mark

6. AgDieseler

I have a friend that works at a turbo shop, so this info may be a little biased. He had commented once or twice that a customer ordered a rebuild kit; they did it themselves, and that they returned with a trashed housing(s) because the shaft had moved fore and aft causing major destruction. He said it's because the bearing was most likely not set properly. This isn't first hand experience, so don't let that stop you. I think it would be cool to rebuild your own turbo.

7. azblazor

Thanks for the heads up. I need to find out that kind of specific information. From what I have read so far everything is held together with snap rings, as far as the middle housing and bearing assembly/seals. But we'll see.
    Thanks for the info though.

8. AgDieseler

One thing to think about:
    Turbo shops typically check out the condition of a unit for free, or at least for a small nominal charge. You might condsider rebuilding yours, then taking it down to your local turbo shop for a check-out. It's worth some piece of mind, plus you still get to have the great adventure of building your own turbo.

Good luck, and keep us all updated. Take some pics.

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Turbos are very touchy Object, since they can spin at speeds in excess of 150,000 RPM, any slight inbalance tear it up in no time, if you do it yourself, and damage or even drop the shaft, turbine, compressor wheels; replace them. Or else catastrophic failure could occur possibly damaging your engine. also, when pulling the housings off the center section, make sure they do not contact the fins, it can be tricky. When unscrewing the compressor wheel from the turbine/shaft assembly, it is a good idea to use a U-Joint even though its straight on, this will reduce any sideloads that may be placed on the shaft while seperating them. Be sure to inspect the shaft carefully, and measure it for wear with a mic.this and using a good clean oil for assembly and you should be okay. Oh and as an after thought, if you port out your turbo you will more than likely affect airflow in a negative manner, i would simply polish it with a crossbuff or scotchbrite pad.