Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding Dana 60 Help????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, Feb 6, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Im going to build the dana 60 I just bought so what is needed to make it fairly indestructable I got the kingpin kits and srw hubs and rotors but as for shafts and u joints and bearing etc. also can I use the carrier I have with 3.54 to put in 4.56 or should I just get a lockright already did a search but want to know if you guys know of a cheaper way sorry its long:D

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Some puctuation in your post would be nice. My brain hurts.

No, the 4.56 gears wont work in your carrier. You will either need to get 4.10's, buy a new carrier, or buy a full case locker. Upgrading to 35 spline outers is definately recommended, but anything beyond that is up to you.

3. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

So this is what I got so far.One set inner/outer chromealloy shafts 35 spline $465. Set of ctm's $480, 2 king pin kits $95, and master rebuild kit for diff. $115, also open carrier 35 spline for 4.56 and up $50. Am I missing anything or any suggestions. I really appreciate the help and sorry for such newbie questions.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Dont forget the inner axle seals, and while it is appart replace all wheel bearings and spindle bearings and seals. Save the money on an open carrier and buy a detroit. There is no point in using CTMs and Cromos if you are gonna be open. Also are you sure you are getting Cromos for only $500? That is like half price. If so good for you. Im just asking the question.

Ira

5. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Well as for the cromos its says 4340 alloy. Also I have detroit in rear and was thinking of one in front.What would the draw backs be on highway driving etc. I will also have crossover, and I got new hubs and rotors, and will also change inner seals. That said are the prices decent.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I reread your post and you said 1 set of inner/outer 4340 for $500. 1 set is defined as 1 inner and 1 outer. Therefore you would have to buy 2 for a complete axle. Not trying to flame just trying to help you out so you plan properly:D. The other prices look fine.

As far as driveability with a detroit front and rear I have no personal experience but, with hubs unlocked or even with slugs and in 2wd there should be no adverse effects of being locked front and rear as there is no power into the pinion. PM readymix he has a detroit front and rear and he drove his from Chicago to San Diego.

Ira

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

:confused:

2 entries found for punctuation.

n.
      1. The use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning.
      2. The marks so used.
    1. The act or an instance of punctuating.

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

if you want to keep your existing carrier, you can buy a ring gear spacer from Summit for $30, it comes with longer ring gear bolts.

9. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

When I put one set I ment all 4 sorry for not being specific.So you guys think its a good deal.

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sure do, and I leave the hubs locked all the time and just drive around in 2WD. I can feel a slight differance but not really that noticable.

11. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Readymix thanks for the reply.So no difference on the highway or on turns nothing to worry about.

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not as long as you are in 2WD,
    If you try 4WD with the hubs locked you will grow tired of it real fast

13. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Why would I get tired of it in 4wd what happens.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Driving locked in 4wd with hubs locked on pavement is generally not a fun ordeal. It can cause binding in the Tcase also and then have possible damage. If the tires can slip as on ice or offroad then there is no concern. In 2WD the vehicle drives just like an open dif in the front even with the hubs locked.

Ira

15. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Exactly

16. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guy for your help and patience with me. I guess Im going with a front detroit.

17. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To help cure my own ignorance:

What are ctm's?

Do Master install kits not come with all of the needed bearings and seals, or does it just provide the ones for near the pumpkin? (i.e. the bearings and seals for the ends of the axle-tubes must be purchased seperately)

Thanks.