Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding driveshaft question about u-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 29, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As you all know I busted my driveshaft and killed the u joint last weekend. Well readymix had some drivelines that he was not using so I have one to fix my broken on and another for a spare. I want to replace all of the joints on these shafts they are stock front shafts with CVs. Question are all of the Ujoints in a stock front shaft 1310 and can I replace them with the forged spicer life series. Would you recommend greaseable or non-greasable for a driveline. I know I run non greasable in the front axle but that does not turn all of the time. I want the forged joint cause my last one broke and took the shaft. I run a welded front so it prolly wont do any good but I cannot afford a HAD shaft right now just to change DL lengths later.

Thanks

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

TTT for the morning crowd.

Ira

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The one at the axle side should be a 1310 ujoint but I believe the 2 in the CV are a different part number/size. I believe they are all available in the Spicer Life Series though. I personally use non-greaseable unless you do lots of mud or water.

Harley

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The only mud or water I see is if it is on the road other than that I run rock and desert.:D Does anyone know the ujoint size for a front stock CV?

Ira

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It is not a 1310. I will try to find the reciept I have for the set and let you know.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

S44 (3r)

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So it is the same as the rear driveline?

That is kewl I guess, Spicer makes a Life Series in that size and there is really not much of a cost difference between them and a regular joint.

So I need 4 S44 and 2 1310 to rebuild 2 front drivelines correct?

Ira

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

sounds right to me. before you go installing them, i would do some measuring just to be 100%

that and be sure you get the appropriate lock setup (inner, outer, whatever)

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I found the non greasable part number and when I type it in to Napa online it gives me the greaseable joint only. I think I will have problems with the greasefitting hitting **** in the CV. Where do you buy Spicer life series joints that are non greaseable?

Ira

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

the grease fittings give me zero issues in my cv...they clear everything and i can get my pneumatic grease gun on them while they are installed. for a truck that sees offroad use(even dirt/rocks) i would prefer greasables.