Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding front end question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buckmtn, Jan 23, 2007.

1. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt 3/4 ton front needs some work. (broken axleshaft, wheel bearings shot,balljoints shot, tie rod shot, axleshaft seal leaking) Instead of crawling around on the ground in the driveway would it be any easier just to unbolt it from the truck and take it into the garage. Remove driveshaft, hang brakes out of the way, unbolt u-joints, unbolt shocks, disconect steering and roll out from underneath. Any ideas. Yes 10 bolts suck but don't have 2k to throw at a 60.

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Most of the time I find it easier to work on an axle under the truck (setting up gears is the exception). When its bolted to the truck, it doesn't try and run away everytime you have to loosen/tighten something.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

X2

Ira

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

x eleventybillion

Way too many hi-torque fasteners. It's very difficult to take one apart off the truck and next to impossible to put one together. I know. I just did one.

Leave it on the truck, throw down a blanket or a piece of foam rubber and borrow somebody's torpedo heater.

Erect a temporary shelter out of 2x2s and tarps to block the wind, if you have to.

6. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice.:D Does anyone have a set of u-bolts to fit six inch lift leaf springs lying around? I have the stock length on there with hardly any thread out of the nut. Thanks

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

If you're showing thread beyond the nut, you're fine.