Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding my TH-350 - please help.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ymatt, Mar 14, 2001.

1. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Hey y'all [​IMG],

I've removed the Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 from my '78 K5 ready for rebuilding, and I'd be very appreciative if you guys could answer a few questions for me.

First, the transmission has no drive in any gear; does this mean a major failure of hard parts? (I bought the Blazer like this, so I don't know how it failed).

I am still not sure whether to do it myself, or pay someone to do it for me. I have Ron Sessions' handbook, which is excellent, but I am having great difficulty getting hold of tools here in the UK (it's pretty much impossible to get anything done in Wales). Any suggestions for obtaining the required tools, preferably from the UK?

I'd like to do some performance mods, but I don't know what I should do if anything. My 350 V8 has undergone some degree of tuning, and it would be nice to have a tranny that can cope with extra power and shifts quickly.

Can you recommend total-rebuild kits? What prices am I looking at? I've been given a price of £166.37 (about $250) excluding 17.5% tax and delivery for a rebuild kit, filter & gasket kit, and adjustable modulator.

If I got someone else to do it, how much should I be paying them do a complete rebuild, including hot tank cleaning? American Autoparts said they could do a rebuild for £400 (about $600) plus any hard parts and tax (17.5%). Does that seem reasonable? (Of course, the tax is NOT reasonable [​IMG]).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Yendor

P.S. It's great to see that this forum is so popular, Colorado K5 is one AWESOME site! I can't wait to move to the States and meet up with some other Blazer enthusiasts! (Blazers are very rare in the UK - and rip-off fuel costs along with miserable weather means mine won't get used much here).

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you do it your self or have someone do it 4 you have a stage 2 shift kit put in you will be glad you did much nicer firmer shift

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. James

James 1/2 ton status

To rebuild yourself. must be pretty knowledgable. I paid 600.00 for a rebuilt th350. Had an upgraded Torque converter added for The towing I do. Also had a mild Transgo Shift kit installed. Was told for 4x4 you should stay mild as the hard shifts tend to wear on all the other drivetrain parts as well. 900.00 might seem pricey. but when you add the upfraded converter and shift kit. Thats not bad for professional rebuild and install.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No gears may be as "simple" as a bad pump or converter. If either failed, always a good idea to replace internals anyways. The 350 isn't too difficult. If I were you, I would take it all apart (using an ATSG=Automatic Transmission Service Group) Th350 manual, and have a tranny shop, with the correct tools, press in the new bearings, and do the spring changeovers, which take special tools, or lots of creativity..you can usually pay them to do these things really cheaply.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

ymatt,
    You can rebuild your own tranny with the B&M Transkit. I paid $190 through PAWinc.com. This is one of the few kits with pictures designed for those who have not done this type of work before. I did not need any special tools although they are recommended. The hardest part is getting the rearmost piston compressed in order to remove the snap-ring. I made a tool with two peices of steel and a long bolt. You will see what I mean. Anyway , this kit has provisions to select street, race, or RV use. I recommend it.
    JT

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I also recomend the B&M TransKit. B&M makes good stuff with great instructions. BTW B&M stands for Bob & Mort the 2 guys that started the company.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pawinc.com>http://www.pawinc.com</A>

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

7. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, seems like the B&M kit is the one to go for.

The truck really needs a complete restoration, but that can wait until I move; right now I just want to get it mobile.

(Can't wait to get this beast running!)

Yendor