Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding np 241

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rustbucket, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I'm having major transfer case problems and was wondering if any of you had rebuilt one of these. It's out of a 91 blazer. Was wondering if this is an easy case to rebuild or should i take it to someone. Also does anyone know of any good websites (other than this one) where I might find some info? Thanks in advance.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing the rebuild of an NP241 done in (I'm pretty sure) Petersen's 4wheel and off-road. I have kept every issue for the last 5 years, but they are all at home right now (I'm at college). Otherwise, I'd be happy to look for exactly which issue it was. I am also pretty sure it was within the last 6 months or so. Anybody else want to back me up on this one? Check a library near you - first of all to see if they carry Petersen's and secondly to check their backissues.
    The rebuild was fairly simple if I remember correctly.

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Yea I think it was the one with the yellow 69 or 70 K5 on the cover. It was a little before summer if I remember right, also had some info about blazer's going topless and security ideas.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

It looked really simple in the Mag. They said all the parts only went in one way and that is was almost impossible to screw it up.

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It looked really simple in the Mag.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't it allways though? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I did mine, twice..1st time was for the fixed yoke conversion. &lt;simple.....

And the second time was cause I F'ed up the unit wheelin. Still a simple job. There are no needle bearings to worry about. Standard transmission sells the chain for about $75 and the rebuild kit which included new bearings, seals, gasket or 2 and the fork shoes (all for about $75. )
    It took me longer to remove it adn clean it up than it did to rebuild it. If you decided to do it, make sure you look at the input gear assembly teeth. This is where mine was damaged. This part was about $80 to replace if I remember correctly. I am by the way about to tear my down again and install a 32 spline input gear, so I may be will ing to sell my input gear to you should you need it. Let me know if you need any help. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

Hey thanks for the input. I'm going to get it in the garage tomorrow and take the back cover off and check it out. It's popping out of 4lo, but only when going forward. Reverse is good, but it sucks to back through the woods.