Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding NP203 range box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jan 30, 2003.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

OK, I've come across a lot of good write-ups on rebuilding the NP205 transfer case, but I haven't found much on the NP203. I have a range box portion of the 203 with a female input 10 spline that is really worn out. I'm interested in replacing that shaft and generally inspecting the rest of it, so I can get it ready for "doubler" duty behind my SM465 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Who knows of any good sources for rebuilding the NP203? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks!

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ORD should have all the parts you need.
    I am currently rebuilding my whole 203 and should have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done if you have any questions.

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have some....
    the 78'Factory Chevy Truck repair manual has a section on the 203.....
    and I also have an old Chilton's manual it also has a complete write-up.....
    I can copy them for you... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Finding a 10 spline input gear might be a problem, we're out and still looking for a batch of new parts. We do have the 32 spline 465 output in the works so swapping it all out might be an option to look at.
    We have a rangebox rebuild kit for $120, and a manual would be a great source of info. The rangebox is extremely simple so it won't be a big deal.

Incidently, I think this is my 2000th post here. That seems like a lot to me till I look at some of the other more serious junkies at 9K!

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Leadfoot-thanks, I've read some of your replies and articles, I'd feel good about any help or photos you might be able to provide when I tackle this.

JK5-I'll be xeroxing that part of your manual!

Stephen-Rebuilding that part of the range box doesn't look difficult, but please let me know if you can get those shafts asap. I would rather go 32 spline, but I've got so much 10 spline stuff, plus the "rare" 465 version of the 203, that's the way I'm gonna go.

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I found one, give us a call and we'll put your name on it.