Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding overhead console?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by afroman006, Aug 20, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

In my burb, the overhead console has about had it. The lights all wobble around like lazy-eyes, one doesnt work, and the lenses are fubar'd in all of them. In addition, the little doors dont really latch closed, and the rubber around the lights is all cracked. I know they sell a new panel in LMC but its like $250 and there's nothing cosmetically wrong with mine. Anyone have any options or ideas? thx

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

check the bone yards... or monitor e-bay for a while. I see them out there from time to time. The one in my 91 still works almost like it was new! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    In my burb, the overhead console has about had it. The lights all wobble around like lazy-eyes, one doesnt work, and the lenses are fubar'd in all of them. In addition, the little doors dont really latch closed, and the rubber around the lights is all cracked. I know they sell a new panel in LMC but its like $250 and there's nothing cosmetically wrong with mine. Anyone have any options or ideas? thx

[/ QUOTE ]

The wobbly eyes are due to the felt ring around the light being worn.

I just took mine apart and flipped the felt over, put it back together. If the felt is shot, you could prolly remove it, cut new ones and install them.

-- A

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I have a gray one that I don't plan on using now.
    It's in pretty good shape too, just been sitting in the back seat of my burb for about a year now.

PM me if you're interested.

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

how hard would it be to build your own with wood? then it could be customized for your tastes. mine is suffering from the same ailment. i don't want to play with it right now because its the only thing holding my headliner up. another project another day. it never ends.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Dang, my interior is tan. That'd look funny lol.