Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding Quadrajet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bear Creek, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Bear Creek

Bear Creek Registered Member

After looking over past post I think its time to rebuild my carb. Idle is fine. Hesitates on take off unless you go slow and smells rich. After you reach 20 or so it accellarates OK. I have not tryed doing a rebuild before, does a kit come with floats and other mechanical parts or just gaskets? Any thing I need to know about adjusting it? Local shop wants $120 plus kit, would I be better paying to get it done? I have been doing maintance in plants for 20 years, but never messed much with cars.

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine myself, if you follow the directions and keep all the parts together, you should be ok. Some kits do come with a new float.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Current or last month's (sept 2001) issue of Four Wheeler has an article on rebuilding a Q-jet, looks pretty easy. I've never done one myself, but it looks pretty simple. I have a couple in my garage and was thinking about attempting to rebuild one just to try it (inspired by the article).
    I think the kit comes just with gaskets, a ball, and needle seat (?), but I've never done it so I don't know.
    What the heck, go for it. I think the kit's around $30 or so.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Go to My 85 Jimmy
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

5. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

I read the article too and it was very well illustrated and the directions were pretty easy to follow. You may want to see if you can find a back copy or someone could scan the article and post it....&lt;hint&gt;&lt;hint&gt;

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air, 4in susp, 35's

And I said "It's not orange it's Crimson Red"

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If someone says *please*, I will scan it tonight.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you really want to do it, buy Doug Roe's book on Rochester carbs. The magazine article glosses over a few things that will keep you guessing for a while if you haven't done one before. The article does have some good info and pictures, particularly of re-bushing the throttle shaft bores.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hesitates on take off unless you go slow and smells rich. After you reach 20 or so it accellarates

<hr></blockquote>

accellerator pump is gone. try just new seals there first.

just did a quadrabog for little brothers 67 lemans ragtop. was unable to blow one passage clear so i will call that a failure, looked like a main jet air bleed type thing but i never worked on a 'bog before

9. Josh

Josh Registered Member

They are a piece of cake mostly. The only problem I've ever had is one I'm still working on now. I have to open the throttle plates too far to sustain idle and it starts flowing fuel from the main discharge - serious bad rich at idle. Cams above 220deg duration mostly have this problem. Just be sure to keep all of the external linkages straight, and the article in 4wheeler? reccommends bending the accel pump linkage - don't do that just use a punch and push the pin back by the choke horn housing, not too far though so you can get a screwdriver behind it when you are done an push it back. Also, the article says you don't need to dip it - do it anyway, it's the ONLY way to ensure you have the passages as clean as they will get. And use epoxy on the "plugs" at the bottom of the fuel wells.

Josh

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Exactly what Josh said.

My carb was so gummed up it had to get dipped twice. The first time was overnight the second time was 6 hours. Then he had to still go in there with a dental pick to get the rest of the gum off. Also, epoxy the plugs on the underside of the fuel wells.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>