Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding Rear 52s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Sep 17, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Alright, I finnaly got my front end lifted and am ready to put on my DIY shackle flip on. I am going to rebuild the rear springs. I got new poly bushings and paint but I need to get some teflon pads. Im sure local springs shops have them but is there any other material that would be more effective than teflon pads? If so where could I get it at? Thanks!

matt

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what you need is UHMW-PE... Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene. It reduces friction more than teflon and is much more durable. You can get it in 3" wide "tape". The best thicknesses for leaf springs are 0.030" and 0.060". All you have to do is cut off the extra 1/2" so its 2.5" wide like your leaves are... then remove the sticky crap that they put on one side and viola! you have the best anti-friction leaf spring stuff you can buy. I talk about it more in my 52" spring swap write up... it has all the details plus a good source to get it from. Hope it helps. I have been running it in my spring packs for years and it works great, very durable.

j

3. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Thanks! I read your article. Should I just look arond town for a local plastics supplier? I am guessing most plastics suppliers will carry UHMW-PE.