Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding steering box frame area...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Well my frame is kinda fu(ked up around my steering box, and has been fixed several times by people who didn't know better. Now I'm left with 2 holes that have been built up with weld and washers and are higher than the other two holes. And I still have cracks coming from some of the holes.
    My idea is to get the vertical section from a junked truck and weld that inplace of my gobbed up cracked section of frame.
    From what I've heard the horizontal rails take most of the stress on the frame. Well execept around the box I guess but I think with a brace kit install should take most of the stress away that area.
    I have also heard that if I make my section ends like a "C" it should be stronger and not tear out.
    Any thoughts on what I can do? I don't think trying to repair the new frame would be the way to go since it is pretty nasty. Would welding a section in be safe enough? I know lots of rodders build thier own frames, mini truckers section and step notch theres and off roaders make tube frames so I imagine it would be safe enough depending on my weld /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You have a PM.