Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding the Big Block in the Chevelle.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by chvyhs, Jan 22, 2003.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I spun the rod and main bearings so it's time to rebuild. I was thinking about tuning it down this time. What do you guys think about the Performer RPM intake and cam kit? I'm tired of setting the valve lash with those damn solid lifters so I'm going back to hydralic.

Also, who's done the drum to disk conversion on a '66 Chevelle or similar car?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've done one on a '68 before. Dont know what all of the differences are with the change in the body styles though. It went well and made a huge difference. I've got the Factory disks on my '71 SS but I need them for my own '68 now.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine is running the Performer RPM> He seems to like it. I will see if I can get the specs on the cam from him. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I had a 67 SS convertible and I changed it to 4 wheel disc. The front was a kit and the back ones were Wilwood on a 9" ford rear. Everything was pretty much bolt on with no problems

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you. The hydralic's will work if your not turnning to many R's.
    I ran them and the performer intake a long time ago without any problems. I do miss the days of my Chevelles /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I had a 70 SS 396, a 71 w/327, TRW 11:25 to 1, balanced with a ton of other goodies including 4 dueces. Oh, I had a 72 also. I was in the Chevelle Club of Michigan. Good luck with the car, What motor does it have? Never did the brake conversion on mine due to a lack of funds back then.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

as far as the performer kit goes? never used it, can't tell you. as far as disc brakes? well, Here is what I did. I had a 64 lemans, narrowed 12 bolt rear, stock up front, with moroso springs and koni shocks. A company called "HO RACING" makes ball joints so you can swap on late model(70-81) camaro/firebird front spindles on your car and then all the disc pieces fit nice. these spindles will also lower the front of your car about an inch. readily available parts at any scrap yard. Now for the rear, If you have a 10 bolt or 12 bolt, The rear disc set up from a 79-81 trans am IS A DIRECT BOLT ON! take off your drums and backing plates and bolt on the disc setup. I found a 80 t/a for parts for 100.00 as a doner. made the swap super cheap! I couldn't use the ebrake set up though. I had 15x14 weld superlites with 6" backspace and the hit the levers. I also used the master cylinder/booster from an 86 vette. nice light aluminum master cylinder made by REBCO. The rear disc from the rear wheel drive caddy's will also work. It even cleared my C-Clip eliminater kit. The only things I had to modify on rear was the rotor. I was using 1/2" studs so I had to drill out the rotor from 7/16. I also had the open the center hole up by 1/16 to match my strange axels. What a MASSIVE improvement from those 4 wheel drums!! and wasn't very expensive.

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info.

To use the 70-81 spindles/disk all I need to do change my ball joints? For the rear I have a 12 bolt that I want to add the c-clip eliminator kit to. Do you think my Weld Draglites will have the same problem as your Welds? I need some type of e-brake.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

they had a kit. I bought a "rebuild" kit that had all the bushings,balljoints and tierods. I do believe that it was their ball joints, maybe tie rods also. The problem was the angle that the new parts lined up. There pieces had the steel sleeve/socket set at a different angle to allow proper movement. It all bolted on and worked great! I should also say, I didn't use a standard proportining valve. I used an adjustable valve to control rear bias. The problem with the rear wasn't the rim make as much as it was the offset I used. If you use a rim with a standard offset 4" or less, I don't think you will have a problem.

9. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Got the new 396 back from the machine shop this week. So far all I've been able to do is paint it and order a few new parts for it. It's .060 over with a with a Comp 280H cam. Hopefully I'll get to drop it in the Chevelle and drive it before I deploy to the desert. If money get's tight while I'm gone I may have to give the wife permission to sell one of my toys. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Right now she only has power of attorney to register and drive them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I did the B-body (12" disk) conversion on my 71 Elky.
    Best thing I ever did. I used the Hotchkis upper arms cuz its my daily driver and I didnt want to mess around with the shim problems you can have with stock upper arms. Rebuilt the whole front end while I was in there and think I got out for under $1100 total.

The Performer is a good bottom end manifold. The RPM just pulls the whole power curve up higher. Im running a 350 .030 over flat tops with 186 camel hump heads a comp XE-262 and the performer manifold and 600cfm carb. Its still pulling at 6500rpm If you got the room for the added height go with the RPM.

If you havent already tried www.chevelles.com is a great place to get tons of info. The Chevelle Tech message board is alot like this site /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Pics of the Elky http://home1.gte.net/res096qi/71Elky.htm

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I did the wilwood setup on my 69 firebird. Great setup, works awsome (4 piston calipers). Real easy to install. The only problem is it doesnt come with brake lines. No problem though. Speedway motors has the brake line parts in stock.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif