Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding the front CV...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Jun 22, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

wanna tackle the front CV as a maintenance thing after I paint my front shaft.. anyone done it, have an article on it or know how to do it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif how much am I looking at for parts, etc. I see the little orange plastic things holding the ujoint caps in, how is it all gonna go back together. thanks

mike

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah it's 130 bucks... if the ball joint is blown.. otherwords it's just u-joints...

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I got quoted more then I paid for the shaft for just the CV

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Give Jesse @ High Angle Driveline a call 530-877-2875, he can get you prices for the parts to do it yourself, and a price on doing it for you. You also qualify for the 10% CK5 discount /forums/images/icons/grin.gif.

5. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt one for $28.00!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Go to Napa they have the one kit you need. This just the seal,new ball, 3 spacer washers, flat washer. The ujoints are what ever you need. Hope this helps

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have/know the instructions for rebuilding the CV joint? I have changed tons of u-joints, but never a centering ball equipped CV.

7. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

I just did mine a couple thousand miles ago. The CV comes apart as you remove the u-joints. It's just a matter of removal order, and it was pretty self evident when I did mine. I too had never done anything but regular u-joints.