Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilding track loc for a D44....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 3, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I found a website that sells clutch kits for a D44. The site caters to broncos but it just says for a D44. Will this kit work on mine? For $50 I can have the ls fixed up front. Also does anyone know of any techs on a rebuild? I have no experience with gears or diff's period. Other than changing the oil. I have been told it is not that difficult. Would I need special tools? Thanks for any help.
    D44 clutch rebuild kit

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

carrier of the dana 44 should be the same whether its a Ford, Chevy, Jeep, or whatever model. But I don't know 100% on that, I would think that kit would work for any of them /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. stallion85

Does anyone know if a garage mechanic can rebuild it himself? I can usually follow the instructions well if I just look at the pictures and pretend on what the words say /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. stallion85

Any takers on this subject? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You just take it all apart, toss the old clutches, install the new clutches and put it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The web link that you posted above shows a "TRAC LOK REBUILD TOOL DANA" that just looks to be a few bolts and washers. They are probably needed to overcome the spring pressure as you take the diff apart and put it back together. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif