Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I plan to rebuild my transfer case in the this weekend and was wondering if you guys had any types on how to go about this. One specific question i have is what di I torque the case bolts and the bolts that hold it to the adpter to. I have looked all over and cant find these torque specs. Can anyone direct me to a wesite that might have this informations. I was suprised how easy the thing came out. I figured all the bolts would be impossible to break loose, but amazingly enough the broke with a small 3/8 " wrench. The only thing that really sucked was getting it lowered and out from underneath. The **** thing kept wanting to role off the jack so I put it on a skate board and wheeled it out. Well if anyone knows those torque amounts hook me up. Thanks for the help. THe tranfer case is a 208 that might be of some small use, I almost forgot to mention that.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The best I can offer is be careful pullijng the mainshaft out. There are needle bearings wrapped around this thing and they SCATTER.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine just recently and yes watch out for the needle berings on the output shaft they will go everywheres. When reassembling dont be afraid to use a little bering grease to hold them on the shaft while reassembling the t-case. I also recomend buying a hanes manual they have pics and torque specs at the beginning of thet-case chapter. For a 208:

rear-case to front-case 23ft/lbs
    Yoke Nut 120 ft/lbs
    Operating lever to range selector locknut 18 ft/lbs
    adapter to tranny 19 - 30 ft/lbs
    adapter to t-case 19 - 30 ft/lbs

Yes 120 ft/lbs on that front yoke nut...any less and it will leak as the others on this board can tell you... Take your time and alot about a day. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in about 5-6hrs but the first time took some thinking and remembering what order what came out and making sure i kept track of all the parts. Study study study the t-case as you are taking it apart and you should have no troubles.
    Good Luck,
    Josh

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my NP241 with a new input gear & SYE kit from High Angle Driveline & I've GOT to ask; where are all these little needle bearing that will fall out? The few sets in mine were inside gears & didn't even try to move; let alone fall out! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Just sincerely curious because it was this kind of talk that had me afraid to open my t-case but now that I've done it; I've got to say that it had to be one of the easiest jobs I've done! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'd recommend that eveyone try it! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

We are talking about a np208 they probably got wiser with the 241 and sealed the bearings. On the 208 they are on the rear output shaft side I believe they rest between the range selector fork the gears near the bottom of the t-case. Nothing to be scared of still....but they will inevitably come out no matter what just something to watch for so you can keep track of all 120 of them....still don't understand? Watch someone rebuild a 208. You'll see!! :evil grin:

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I cheated on the needle bearings, and used vasiline, the motor manual I used to rebuild mine suggested that.
    I loaded up the shaft and then stuck them too it.
    Also you might want to think about "magnitizing" them with a magnet. Just put all of them on a speaker magnet, or a I used a magnetic dish, and they stayed in place not problem, but paitence is a virtue while installing them!
    Thanks to Bowtie, he helped me in my rebuild and gave the confidence to rebuild my own 208.

7. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

well i got the t-case rebuilt, and you guys were right about the needle bearing scattering. It really didn't matter much though because the kits i used had new ones. THe rebuild was not all that hard the biggest pain was finding was to get the oil seal and the shaft bearing to pop out. I didn't even try ti get the two out that you can on get to from one side. ON of which is in the t-case housing itself and the outher I think was in the main rear main drive gear. I didn't have anything to pull those out with so they stayed put, but everything I replaced with exception of the chain was in good shape anyways. The only thing that worries me is that I got some dirt in a couple of the bearing, andthe rear output shaft bearing. I hope that doesn't screw anything up. I figure I will drive it for about 20-30 miles and then change the fluid again. What do you guys think.

8. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

On the blind bearing you were talking about I used a large slide hammer and an inside bearing puller, but even then one didn't want to come out, so out comes the cut off wheel and repalced that one as well.
    One thing though, make sure you don't cover up any of the oil slots around the bearings and seals so that the fluid can lube the parts.
    Oh, and by the way CONGRATULATIONs on the rebuild!