Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilding turbo 400 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Jan 19, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

should I do it myself or have a shop rebuild it or buy one from like TCI or B$M?

Who has done there own? pros and cons of it? Any info will help.

Now that I have done my 383 the trans is the next weakest link and it slips more and more each day and when in a tight corner to the left it down shifts by itself and it doesnt like to shift into 2 when standing on it. any ideas here? please /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Do you have a decent tranny shop in your town?? Jegs sells the "street fighter" tranny for 770. But it's truck freight to you. 100.00 or higher. But thats a 2wheel tranny. They have a "heavy duty, RV" 4x4 tranny, TCI Part# 210100. but had no price. I bought a TCI kit for my 400 for 210.00 from northern auto parts. And gave my tranny guy 150 to rebuild. Another 240.00 for TCI converter. I don't do my own tranny's. Not that i can't. don't have the tools.

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

which kit did you get? I noticed that none of them come with the pump or bearings, so it isnt a full rebuild of moving parts is it?

was wondering about the special tools as well, but not sure what is needed.

thanks for the repley more info would be helpfull from all thanks /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there are a few special tools. i have over $1000 in tools for trannys and that is just for a few trannys. the th400 pump has gears not vains like the 700r4. they don't wear as much but ar more expencive to replace. if you replace all the bearings in a th400 you would have about $200 in just bearings, only replace what is needed

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

It was the pro super kit and the upgraded sprage.

6. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

ushaly you dont need to replace the pump unless their is filings in the fluid or id looks worn. i rebuilt my th350 with a good book and it was easy. you just have to have room to put every thing in order so its easy to put back together. the only special tool i needed was a good pair of snap ring plyers and the book!! it only cost me $57 bucks to get the clutches seals and bearings (borg warner clutches) from a local tranny shop. if you have a day for your first one and room to work i would suggest trying it your self and save some money. if you screw up then take it some where they are simple.and you only out 50 bucks. that worth a try for me

7. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

cool,
    thanks guys for the info will be checking it out, I did buy the book how to work with and modify the turbo 400. lots of info there /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would suggest getting an ATSG manual for the TH400..
    I've rebuilt th350's, 400's and 700r4's and the 400 is the easiest, i'm glad i learned on my th400 first. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    I got the B&M master racing overhaul kit.. the only thing that is not included is the thrust washers.. It comes with the clutches, bands, seals and bushings.
    I got a TCI reverse shifting manual valve body also, but just a $40 B&M shift kit will work great and up the line pressure which is the key to transmission success.
    Get a big table and lay out a bunch of newspaper so you can keep everything as clean as possible and laid out in order the way it came apart, hopefully it will go back together just as easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

http://groups.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/th400transmissionrebuild.msnw

9. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

thankyou will look into getting that manual

10. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

well thanks for all the info guys. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Took my truck to the shop and they test drove it and said it was something internal, /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif of coarse they would nt say what, /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif like they dont know, at least they should it is their business. Anyway did some research and I think it is the governor or the pressure regulator from reading that book I have. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    What i decided was to buy a kit from TCI part #228805 (sounds good to me) /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif and then have a local shop install it but I cant get away with the 150 bucks unfortunatly /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, more like 360 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand that is with me pulling the trans, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif