Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REBUILDING, WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COLLISION, May 27, 2002.

1. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

2. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat, just add switching the wiring harness to a "better" body in the process, which i'm still gonna have to rebuild sooner or later. Upgraded to 1 ton in the process. I'm basically building a truck from parts. Everytime I look at it, it's like what did i get myself into. Guess I'm really going for that "built not bought".

Tom

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

You didnt play did ya! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I seen your a body man so this shouldnt be too bad for you. I have been in b/w for almost 15 yrs and got out of it just a few weeks ago. I know I have gotten into some cars that I have wondered what/why the hell I was doing it. LOL!

Take lotsa pics!

4. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Manager now, thats another story.

If you were a bodyman then i guess you know the last thing you want to do is work on your own vehicle.
    Looks like you did alot on yours too.

5. Pure Insanity

I considered management, but I am allergic to stress. LOL!!

I havent even begun to work on mine yet as you seen. I have to decide which way I am going before I get started. I am trying to decide whether to cut out the rockers and replace w/ box tube like some here are doing. Seems like a decent alternative to repairing the left inner rocker that I have recently noticed is starting to look like swiss cheese. I was going to put in flush mount S10 handles low in the doors, but now I am wanting to do full cut outs. (bascily just enuff door left to cover the jamb area so I dont have to look at the hinge pillar mostly) Shaving the markers, the drip rails, and the emblems will be done. As well as smoothing the top. If I keep the doors I will do the flush mount handles. I kept a piece of door skin from a left and right door to section in for the handles, which I also have already. (just dont have the key for the locks) I will be starting on it soon I hope. I dont want to drive around w/ it all different colors and primer for too long, so I figured Id try to do it all at once. My last rig I drove in primer for 10 yrs and never painted it. I did use Sikkens color build primer that I tinted lime green to see how I liked it. I sold it right before I sprayed it the actual color.

I am starting on some stuff this week. The outside will be last done. I am gutting the interior and looking for stuff that will need to be cleaned up on the floor (surface rust and flaking), then I will prob. use Wurth SKS and spray the whole inside. I have already gone all over the underside of it and havent found anything to make it worth while to do a floor swap.

OOPS sorry for the novel! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Looks like your in for alot of work in the near future. It will look good with the flush mount handles( I assume you mean the newer style with the cylinder in the handle assy?),
    The low profile door idea would be really cool. only thing is where I am we actually get a winter.

I'm going to use por15 on all interior sheet metal (inside and out) then I will use morton urethane liner and do the whole interior.

The nice thing about managment is I've got every rep in the area donating materials including Dupont for paint.The only cost to me will be my time and an engine rebuild.

post pics of your doors when you work on them, i'd like to see the finished product.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... YUCKYUCK HEEEEHEEHEHEHEHHEHEEEE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Im not laughing at you man, I'm laughing with you. I live in Az and my body is perfect but I still am chasing after gremlins. It's rebuilding, it's just makin' it BETTER!

8. Pure Insanity

Yeah the newer ones w/ the locks. I got early ones that are actual metal and smooth. Not the newer plastic textured ones. Having the pieces of doors will make it easier to do. The rest of the stuff is just basic filling holes and drilling the spotwelds on the drip rails then welding the roof skin to the structure.

The biggest reason I didnt go to management is I dont like dealing w/ snot nose kids that cant change their own oil but can operate a computer telling me what it will take to fix a car. So I have a bit of a rep w/ the local adjusters for telling them "Well Ill tell ya what Di_k head! Theres $40,000 in tools right over there. Show me how good you are! YOU fix it in that amount of time!" LOL!

Ill be taking lotsa pics when I get rolling again on it. I have just been driving it for a while and havent done anything new.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

10. Pure Insanity

I dont know how many times I have seen that pic and never realized till tonite that you didnt even remove the interior panel!

11. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Well I don't feel so bad now, seeing that picture really helps, at least my "B" pillars are still good.

12. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Yeah Steve i used to have the same problems with ins companies and estimators. Now the shop I'm at is the largest in town and we can tell them what we want to repair a vehicle, all you have to do is educate the customer and let them deal with their ins company, amazing how fast their attitude changes when the customer knows what they are talkin about.

13. Pure Insanity

I have thrown more than one Adj to the wolves. Just tell the customer whats going on and how it needs to be repaired to be restored to pre accident condition and let em have it! LOL!! I loved thowing IICAR back in their faces. Well IICAR says...... Blah Blah Blah, and yall want us to live and die by IICAR, so you need to also. They really hated that!

14. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Rene.

Where did you get those bumpers and how much were they???????

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I built em myself...so they were cheap/forums/images/icons/wink.gif I fabricate for a living, so it was just a matter of hanging around late a couple of nights to get em done.

Time for new ones soon...

Rene