Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilt 10 bolt w/4.56

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khotmer, Nov 5, 2002.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

Hey i need a rear end . I currently have a 12 bolt with 4.56 geers and a locker.... and it is starting to go.....I found a guy that has a rebuild 10 bolt with 4.56 he sand blsted painted and rebuilt 4500 miles ago then replaced it with d60. he wants 400.00 for it.... what are everyones thoughts... I have called around and all the shops want a minamum of 400 in labor to rebuild plus parts another 250 - 350 ..... i need some guidance here..... I know the 10 bolt is not as strong but i dont plan on doing any heavey wheeling for awhile (2 3 years) this is going to be my daily driver (street queen) until my wife gets a mini van in a few years.........

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

That seems like a decent price for a 4.56 geared 10 bolt. Definately cheaper than having one rebuilt. Have a locker/LSD in it?

John

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a good deal....if it is in good shape....
    Keep in mind.....lockers run at least $250! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea somtimes you get lucky and find a deal like that, i found a 12 bolt fer free /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif from my friend, painted red /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, dunno why, no drums, no brakes, diff cover was [censored], gears looked good, so i used it, put a napa chorme cover on it, brakes off the 10 bolt on, drums too, looks sharp too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

5. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

i know it has been covered but how hard is the swap.....
    brake lines, and u bolts, and what about the u joint...... will it pop right in?

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im 17, i did the swap mostly myself, 10 bolt to 12 bolt, rear end, the brakes are intererchangeable, brake lines too, just use yoru old brakes if the new stuff is [censored], i had to, u-bolts are same size, axle tube is same size, you need a new U-joint, 12 and 10 bolt sizes arent the same cap size, i had to buy a new cover for mine, a nice shiney chrome one from napa /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, it was a fun time, the 10 bolts are ligheter then 12 bolts, i tell you what. me and my heavy friend had a hard time pick'n up that 12 bolt with drums and stuff like that. any how, i hope your talkin about the rear and not the front, good luck on that. tell us how it werks out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well I sold my 12 bolt a while back with only a few thousand miles on it since it was rebuilt for $300 or $350. It had 4.10's and an Auburn Limited slip, all new since it was rebuilt. So the one you found isn't too bad of a deal, but sometimes you can find a really good deal too.