Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rebuilt 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blank, May 12, 2006.

1. blank

blank Registered Member

So how much is a completely rebuilt 205 worth?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a rebuild kit is around $150 on ebay... if someone knows how to do it themselves, it ain't worth much more than that. If you don't, and you want a professionally done one... I would think $500-700... most of that being labor.

j

3. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Is it that difficult to rebuild one? I know there's a tech ariticle floating around on here on how to take one apart and put it back together. I've been wondering about rebuilding one myself.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

They're very easy to take apart and put back together, and jek has all the pictures you need. :deal: Just find some tech info if you need a little reassurance.

5. jekbrown

yeppers... send me an email address where you can receive more than 10MB of pics and I'll forward you all the info you need. Full rebuild kits (hard and soft parts) can be found on ebay for $139.99 + $12.00 s/h... just do a search for "205 rebuild" and you'll find them.

j

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Depend on the case...a 32 spline input will fetch more than a 10 or 27 typicaly.

7. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    How do you tell the number of splines? Also I am taking a 205 out of a 3/4 ton sub that was caked over with mud for about 10 years and was driven at a train station. we drained all the fluids in it. should I just clean up the outside of the case or while it's taken apart and drained should I rebuild it?

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

when you take the case of there is either a male or female shaft the sticks out the the case, count the slines on it. Or if you know what your looking at youll know what splines because or what transmisson it is

205 splines:

400 tranny w/ figure 8 adapter - 32 splines short input
    400 tranny w/ round adapter - 32 splines long input
    350 tranny - 27 splines
    SM465 w/ figure 8 adapter - 10 spline male
    SM465 w/ round adapter - 32 splines long

9. littlejimmythatcould

If you would, shoot me that e mail my address is strengthofthedragon2@yahoo.com . Thanks. I'm looking to rebuild it for a doubler (hopefully this summer). Do you recken I should rebuild the gear case from my 203 also? I appreciate it.:bow:

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Your there and its all apart... i would

11. littlejimmythatcould

I found a kit on e bay for the 203 for about $190 without the chain, which is fine because I wouldn't need it anymore anyway. I'm sitting here typing this reply with the LoMax banner flashing in my face...:rolleyes: That would be cool. Doubler with 6:1 ratio...

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not only that, 1:, 2:1, 3:1 and 6:1 so its 4 speeds rather than 3. gotta love that:D you send them your range box, they send it back all ready to go.

13. littlejimmythatcould

I wonder if a triple stick shifter would be enough for all those gears. That would get kind of confusing until you got the hang of it. I wonder if ORD's triple stick shifter will work for a ATOR doubler. The ATOR doubler is made of steel and the ORD one is made of aluminum. There's always the possibility of stripping out holes with aluminum. The shifter question is probably one best left to the vendor forums. I'll have to ask them before I order all of my stuff.

14. jekbrown

Your 205 tech is on the way. If you go over to the tech article forum, there is a thread there about 205 tech, and it has another 1 or 2 articles not included in the bunch I sent you. I have them, I just don't waste the time emailing them (yahoo is slow with attachments!) because they are easily right-click-saved from that thread.

As far as the tripple shifter is concerned, I would recommend NWF. Thats what I'm going to use with my WMS (now ATOR) doubler...

j

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

everything still work in the same manner. the differance is that the 203 has a 3:1 and 1:1 instead of 2:1 and 2:1

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think anyone that can customize a hood like that can probably build their own shifters with the right design inspiration. ;) BTW, I'll be making some soon and taking lots of pics...

17. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to get front high, front low, rear high, rear low, 4 high, 4 low, without twin sticks? I hear that with twin sticks its easy to accidentally put the front in a different gear than the rear which = bang.

18. jekbrown

no, you have to have twin sticks... one for each shift rail. If the shift rails are modified properly, you shouldn't have a problem with shifting into the wrong gears front/rear...

j

19. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Ok I see some on ebay for 150... Does anyone fabricate them cheaper? Wait that doesn't include modified shift rails either. If I gove the rails to a machine shop what do I tell them to do? Also on a side note what do I tell them to do to the 8lug military bead locks? I need to change the back spacing.

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

theres a few companys on here that customize beadlocks...

As for the shift rails you can send them to ord and they can do it for you.