Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt 4l60e issues,,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Jul 23, 2006.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

the trans died a few months back, suspected torque converter failure, got the rebuilt trans back a few days ago, flushed out the trans lines and radiator cooler and now,,,,

having alittle issue with this damn transmission here, while in drive, from a complete stop, it acts like it's starting out in 2nd or 3rd, can't really tell for sure, but it's very sluggish at first, then sort of kicks in and goes....

Supposed to have been rebuilt by a shop, but now having second thoughts about the service and quality received.

Fluid is full, everything is hooked up, wiring wise,

the thing i am wondering about, maybe the trans cooler running through the radiator is plugged slightly or something, it's almost acting like that, when you have low fluid level, ya rev it and then it takes off, maybe low fluid return pressure or something?

i sprayed cleaner through the top port of the rad/trans cooler, and there didn't seem to be much pressure comming out the bottom, but then when i shot the air compressor through the same one, it sprayed everything out. Are these one way type setup in there, or would we think there is something plugging up the passage, causing low fluid pressure...

don't have an external cooler yet, it is in the works, maybe sooner than planned now,,,

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the fluids are good? Either the torque converter still has air in it, or the air is gone and you are now low on fluid.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, it sat out there and idled for about 20 minutes, then we drove it around the block and then some, probably a few miles, stop and go, get back here and checked the fluid again, and it's still full, i would hope the fluid is good, it's brand new, just a few miles on it :D

oh, and the torque converter is brand new as well...

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have never had this type of issue before, but then again i have never reinstalled a new or rebuilt trans either, always used, so i am actually unsure of how long it will take to get the air out of the torque converter, seem it should have been gone by now though :confused:

alittle more info, maybe it will help, once it gets going, and driving, it drives just fine, shifts fine everything, just that from a dead stop thing...don't want to burn this thing out, and won't be able to get a trans cooler until tomorrow to try that pressure test theory thing out...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you tried pulling away with 1st selected rather drive? Are vyou sure the wiring is all correct? If it drives ok then the cooler is fine.
    Have you 'counted' your gear shifts? ie: are you getting 3 and o/d (don't be fooled by tcc feeling like a gear change)?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just came in from another test drive, and did this exact thing, i tried manually shifting it through the gears,,,,it is not starting in first gear, lugging in second, until it gets to rolling some, then takes off and shifts through the rest just fine.

will not engage first gear at all though

there are two plugs on this transmission, one towards the rear, drivers side, and a big one on the passengerside facing upwards,,i am assuming that this passneger side plug can only be inserted one way?? it went right in, and clicked, unless there's another wire i forgot to hook up that i may have forgotten about taking off when removed:confused:

7. southernspeed

As far as I know everything is controlled electronically on those. It could be worth dropping the pan and having a look at the switch wiring. I believe it can be checked on a scanner too. Maybe drive by your local friendly garage and ask if they can check it. If it's working 'electronically' then it's got to be a fluid control issue. Sorry to be vague but 700R4s is the latest stuff I've worked on.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, after driving it some more, we have realized, it will go into 1st, sometimes,,,so i am thinkin it may be some sort of wiring issue, going to check out the plugs later today and make sure everything is clean, and has good connections, if that doesn't cure it, i guess i'll be dropping the pan.:(

9. southernspeed

If you connect a scanner or laptop to the system (does winaldl cover this?) you can see what the ecu is commanding and check that against what is actually happening. If the ecu calls for 1st but it doesn't shift, it's an internal electronic or fluid control problem. If the ecu doesn't call for first you need to look elsewhere.

As I understand it!!