Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt 700r4 slow shifting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Nov 1, 2006.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

So I replaced the 700r4 in my suburban. I scored it from a guy who had bought it for his 93 k1500 realizing it was from a 91 and wouldn't work. So I got it installed and it like a hang on shifting into 3rd sometimes. And when its cold it will take longer to shift into all the gears. A buddy of mine told me it takes a while to break in. I dont know I've always owned manuals! :confused:

2. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

When I got the 700 in my camaro rebuild I had similar issues, but after me and my dad looked at it, I realized that the kickdown cable wasn't adjusted correctly. Messed with it 2 or 3 times to get it just right, and had not problems after that. I didn't even wait 45 minutes after install before it was feelin all 500hp I had. I never broke mine in and have had no issues.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Search for "TV cable adjustment"... supopsedly critical on 700's. What do I know, I thought TV cable was what brought you ESPN :haha:

-- A

4. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

WURD!

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

ok i'll check that out. I didn't think the kick down would have anything to do with upshifting, but what do I know about autos :rolleyes:

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I don't think it's actually a kickdown on the 700, it's something else, and adjustment is apparently critical.

Again, :dunno: as all I have is TH350's and 400's.

-- A

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, its not actually a kickdown, and it has everything to do with upshifting. It adjusts the pressure at which the transmission operates, and moving it even one tick in either direction off of the perfect position can make it shift too hard, or too soft.

Basic rule of thumb I've noticed is to set the cable as close to the firewall as it'll get, then grab the throttle linkage by hand, and open it as wide as it goes, the cable should pull out a bunch. I've typically found that one tick back towards the firewall is about perfect with both my 700r4 equipped vehicles. To test it, you should be able to punch it at about 40 mph, and still have it downshift, and it should drop into OD at about 45 mph with light throttle.

Make sure you get whatever it is fixed ASAP though, cause long slow shifts like that will kill your tranny in a real hurry.

If the TV cable has no effect, then you'll need to have the valvebody looked at. Sometimes the valve bodies wear out with age, and make the tranny shift sloppy, even after an overhaul. Most tranny shops don't touch the valve body during a rebuild, less it's gasket. It cost my buddy 150 bucks installed to have the valvebody overhauled after his freshly installed tranny continued to slip.

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What ^ he said.

The TV cable is not a kickdown cable it controls the valve pressure and can have major effects on shifting. I bet that is your problem.

9. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I always thought the TV and kickdown were the same, learn something new every day

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As far as I know , from DD mine , is when its adjusted right , the shifts should be first to second rather quickly from a stop , second to third around 2500 rpm with moderate throttle , and third to fourth when you are cruising steady .

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

well thanks guys. I've been adjusting the cable and I think I might have it just right where it needs to be.