Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt dist...major problems...please help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chev4life, Mar 6, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I just installed an A1 Cardon dist in my '87 K5 and am having a hell of time trying to get the truck to run right. I having the timing set at 0 deg (with advance unpluged), have a new cap, and rotor also. My wires, coil, and plugs are about 10k old. Heres my problem...when I first installed the dist the truck started like hell but ran good enough to get the timing set, but when I would hit the throttle the truck would stumble and jump around almost dying and then idle fine after I let go of the gas. So I figured maybe the new ignition modual was crap and I replaced it with my old one. Engine then started great, idled great, but on my test drive I noticed that it would still stumble on hard excel. I dont know what the hell it could be. I let my engine and myself cool of for awhile and started it up again, it did fine. But I noticed the idle would surge +/- 100 rpm (almost like when the AC is on). What is wrong with my truck? I cant figure it out. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks, and sorry for the long post. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Oh yeah...I did reconnect the advance wire after setting the timing.

2. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Try advancing the timing to 6 degrees instead of 0 degrees /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifyou might find that to be alot better for you.

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Do you think that my probs are because it is not advanced? Every mechanic has told me 0 deg is stock and I really dont have any perf mods. It is worth a try though...I will let you know how it goes.

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Update...advancing the timing didnt help at all with the new dist, so I replaced it with all my old equipment except for the cap and rotor and the truck starts and runs great, except for my idle glitch after warmup. I exchanged the new dist for another one and tried again...and still no luck, ran and started like crap. Does anyone know of a place that I can call that works specificaly on blazers/jimmys? Or have any sugestions? I have stumped one dealer and two mechanics. Thanks.
    Oh...anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit with bearings, seals etc for the stock dist? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I had to replace mine cause it broke in an accident. Since I didn't know if I dropped the new one in the right place I simply kept playing with it until it started, then until it ran fine. I never even bothered with the timing light. So you could just try advancing it more/less and see what happens. Also on my air cleaner the stock timings for all the V8's is 4 or 6 deg. I think only the 400 was 6 can't remember, but my 305 was 4(well should be anyway)

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, but his truck is TBI and his timing is supposed to be set to 0* because the computer is supposed to take care of the timing advance. Pre FI trucks are supposed to be set for a specific * BTDC. My old 305 sticker says 4* BTDC.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the advance weights are sticking to me. Also could be the advance springs are too heavy or installer upside down so they are binding on the weights.

John

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Could this happen on two different rebuilt distributors? It almost seems like I have the wrong part number, but I have double checked it and its right the A1-Cardon 30-1830. Has anyone swaped this particular one? It is really confusing. What is odd is that when I put my old dist back in (old module etc included) the truck started fine, even when it was 20+ deg off zero. With the new dist in the truck would barely start at perfect timing and start better when it was advanced (I beleive...turned clockwise from zero) 20 deg? Does that say anything? This whole setup doesnt make sense...it is not a big change, it just doesnt make sense. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Also...I found a full dist on www.gmpartsdirect.com, it seems and looks like the right one...part #1103952. Has anyone used this?