Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rebuilt Engine From NAPA

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Oct 23, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever get a rebuilt engine from NAPA? If so what do you think about dealing with them on this? I need a rebuilt 302 for my work van and they have a 3 year unlimited milage warrantee for $1500... Best warrantee I've found so far... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had one from NAPA a few years ago, and it started to run like crap about 6 months in, so I tore it apart (duh, on my part I know). I figured I could fix a bent valve and NAPA would be none the wiser. When I got there, I found that 2 of the cylinders on the right bank were .030 over, and 2 were standard. So I tore apart the left side to find 3 .030 over and one .010 over. I took it back to them to hear...well you took it apart yourself, your warranty is void. Of course...but WHY ARE THE CYLINDERS DIFFERENT BORES???? No explanation on that.

3. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT the engines are junk /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

What company rebuilt the engine? NAPA has gone through 4 engine reman companies in the last couple of years. We deal with Optimax or Motorworks or 4star just to name a few.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do not like CRAPA !!!! Will not deal with them !!!! You'd be better off rebuilding the motor you already have.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.. Back to square one... Who should I use in California?

7. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

So who do you deal with for parts? Curious since you are dogging my employer. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sorry to dog your employer, but I've had way too meny problems with CRAPA in the past. It's happened at meny locations also, so I can't blaim it on a certin store, or counter personal. (Example) I ordered a set of big block coil springs for a 1973 Camaro, (In small town of 1400 people, everyone knew everyone, and what they drove) They try to give me rear coils for late 80's Camaro. When I tell them this is not what I need, they argue with me. I waited for a week for the wrong damnn parts, and they can't even say they're sorry for the mistake !!!! I ended up driving 180 miles to a TRW whearhouse to get the correct springs. That is NOT an isolated insodent. Damn near everytime I've had to have a part ordered, CRAPA would **** it up and send me the wrong part. Even taken parts in with me, and when compairing them side to side, they argue with me sayinng I brought in the wrong part, that thiers is the correct one. So now I deal with anybody who has, or can order my parts as long as it's NOT CRAPA.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

At the NAPA I work at we sell Marshall reman. engines...We have had good results with them...There are several engine exchange stores here in fort collins who use Marshall Engines as well...

10. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

buddies truck has a napa 350 in it supopsedly 10,000 miles when he bought it and found the heads didn't have one valve that matched another and 2 were cracked and pulled up to far into the seat so had to put new heads on it but still is a dog even with 441 heads and action plus intake, headers, and edelbroke carb

11. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

NAPA Engines /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I had purchased one for my 1974 Chevy. The piston hit the valves on #3 cylinder. What a pain to warranty....the store made me take it to a shop to determine whose fault it was. They finally refunded 50% of the cost and provided another engine. So far no problems, but not worth the effort. I currently will only deal with local reputable engine builders or purchase a GM crate engine.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDanny